Author Topic: Robert Stevens/Seale  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Stevens/Seale
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 March 17 07:29 BST (UK) »
Manawatu Standard 8/12/1922 page 8 indicates that formal votes cast at the Mangahao polling booth were 151 and 761 at the Shannon polling booth.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 April 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
I have had a look at my sub site, Ancestry, but cannot see elections for 1922 listed at all.

Hoping the library has such resources ;D

Betty is always keen  to follow up as many suggestions as possible, so if you or the other NZ chatters have any more brainwaves  ::) let us know.

It is possible that Robert arrived and began work at the dam as Robert SEALE, and the  "event " -whatever it was- happened in NZ. So...... the name change and off to a remote and hard to get to part of NSW. He went directly to the Gosford property of George HEYNE who had a similar British/India background. The work  reference HEYNE wrote for Robert was in the STEVENS name.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 April 17 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

At Ancestry > "New Zealand Electoral Rolls --  1853-1981"

Please refer to accompanying notes at foot of Ancestry page.   
Only the election years marked with an asterisk (*) have been indexed. 

Other years though, are able to be browsed :

(On Ancestry Page)  >  Go to  "Browse this Collection" - at right-hand side bar >
Select "Year" from drop-down box =  1922
Select "Province or Region" :  In this case, to find persons resident in Shannon / Mangahao and environs, choose Manawatu-Wanganui > then from the options which result, select > "Manawatu"
[Note: Not the "Otaki" roll as suggested by Alan ]

The "Supplementary Rolls" and "Removals from Roll" (which usually appear in the last few images), should also be checked.

[ The election year > 1925 > is also not indexed but is able to be browsed in same manner as above. ]

Searching the rolls that are only able to be browsed ... the "annoying bits"  ;D :

* you really need to have a fairly precise idea of the area where the person you are seeking, was living at a given time.
* electoral boundaries and electorate names, changed from time to time (a book "Electoral Atlas" showing changes - not able to be consulted online - so guess work comes into play)
* flicking through the images - time consuming.  ;D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 April 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Meant of course to add that I'd checked the 1922 (and 1925) NZ electoral rolls (including supplementaries), for the area covering Shannon / Mangahao and environ, and found no listing for a Robert SEALE (SEAL) / STEVENS (or variants of these names).

Yes, I've read through the "first" 43 pages of BettyBoops Australia board thread.  ;D
And yes, I have my theories about aspects of this (worldwide) "search" (which I may add at a later date.  ;D

~  Lu

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 April 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Yes, the theories abound :D

Thanks for the guidance re the rolls search.  I had a try with limited success :P

Betty will be most grateful for your efforts with the enrolments too.

There has been an amazing amount of support and input with nearly all avenues well explored.

We all wish there was a WW1 service history.  Only clues --

He said he was in WW1
Had a little limp he attributed to shrapnel.
Said he slept on planks.  ::)

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 April 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
Bumbling fingers done it again. Considered reply gone west in pre-view before final posting.

Still consider that the 1922 polling booths for Shannon and Mangahao were within a seat named OTAKI not the more northern seat of WANGANUI. Can not see evidence of major change in boundaries. Searching through upwards of 10,000 registered voters for 'associates' at a similar address in one Electorate, is possibly best if access to a specific roll can be obtained. My focus has been on ways to try and find associates at a common address, in published photos / local accounts, or emigrants from the same area overseas.

Not sure why the transcription service lists the names regionally.

Alan.

PS Now see some of my previous comments were based on local news paper reports post the election, quoting the previous 1919 election result in conjunction with the added 1919 postal vote count. But believe there were no major boundary or seat name changes, between the two elections in that area.

Alan.

Offline BettyBoops

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 April 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Some time ago when searching for the movements of Robert Stevens, and his migrating to New Zealand, I came across a Robert Stevens who sailed on the "Ulimaroa" on 21 April 1921. I have had another look for the passenger list for the "Ulimaroa", going via FindMyPast and Ancestry, with no luck. Nor another site, "Denise and ??" who had just about every other ship except the "Ulimaroa".  :-\
If someone is successful in finding a link to the passenger list please forward it to me to browse. Then, and with any luck, it might be our person of interest, with a familiar name of a passenger on board. Many thanks, Betty

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 April 17 07:31 BST (UK) »
Main thread on Australia Board from about reply #363 to about #370 has info from Sue and from me (and others too) re that passenger list.

21 April 1921 on ULIMAROA from Sydney to Wellington

JM  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 April 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Ulimaroa arrival at Wellington 26/4/1921 as per the New Zealand newspaper, Evening Post, page 6.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19210426.2.26?query=Ulimaroa

Similar report to the Sydney departure one.

-   Alan.