Author Topic: Android Tablet  (Read 642 times)

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Android Tablet
« on: Monday 27 March 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
I have an Androit Tablet that I no longer use.  Before passing it on to someone else, how do I clear the information on it?
Langwell

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Android Tablet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Although meant to help reboot a problem device the information at this link will help you wipe the machine and restore factore default settings
https://www.howtogeek.com/130611/how-to-factory-reset-your-android-phone-or-tablet-when-it-wont-boot/

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:19 BST (UK) »

Although I'd also say that a factory reset is a good place to start, I'm not sure how much you can rely on that to clear all your personal data.

I would ask the question how much you trust the intended recipient? If you wouldn't trust them to have your old tablet without first wiping it, then you need to be very sure that whatever method of clearing personal data you use is 100% effective and that no 'restore tools' can be used to recover what you think has been wiped.

Desktop and laptop hard disks can be wiped using techniques with a fairly high degree of confidence that nothing can be recovered. I don't have experience with Android devices to know for sure, but my gut feeling is it is unlikely that similar levels of confidence can be achieved.

I hate to see IT hardware being dumped unnecessarily, but if you feel the need to be confident that nothing of yours is left on the device then I would think very carefully about passing it on.

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your advice and I have taken all on board.
Langwell