Author Topic: Queen`s Medal  (Read 1626 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Queen`s Medal
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone who`s contributed to this. I know now, it wasn`t a medal he received.

My daughter has the hard copy of my father`s life story, but I`ve found a pdf version of it  on my PC, I`ve converted it to  a Word doc, but I can`t edit it to copy it here. But in a nutshell:

A gamekeeper had complained to my father ( the village bobby ) that there was persistant poaching on the land  he was in charge of. My father had gone to speak to the gamekeeperabout this, as they were talking a lorry appeared, a pheasant was flung from the back of the lorry and a man jumped downand ran away. There were 2 men in the cab with a.22 rifle. Dad said they were being arrested and a struggle took place, which  ended with Dad taking the rifle which was already for firing off them. He then got them to drive to the police station ( No radios or mobiles to call for back-up in those days ). Dad got the name of the 3rd man who had run all the way home approx. 10miles; it seems Dad had a run in with him in a previous employment! ( Maybe to his great satisfaction ) All 3  were charged with poaching and other offences and found guilty.

The Chairman of the Bench recommended that Dad`s actions be brought to the attention of the Chief Constable, who awarded a Commendation Star, to be worn on the left sleeve.

So while a very brave act, no medal.

This took place between 1949 when he won a prize in a Road Walking race in London and 1952 when he was transferred to another area.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
The Chairman of the Bench recommended that Dad`s actions be brought to the attention of the Chief Constable, who awarded a Commendation Star, to be worn on the left sleeve.

Thank you for letting us know the answer.
I've never heard of a commendation star - you've taught me something new.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
From the Skegness Standard - Wednesday 15 May 1946
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3178694/Amazing-bodycam-footage-shows-moment-two-brave-police-officers-face-attacker-wielding-8in-knife.html (MailOnline 6 Oct 2018)

has a photo of PCs Wishart and Prentice receiving a commendation.  PC Prentice has what might be a Star on his lower left sleeve.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Members of the Force who are commended for brave conduct by command of the Sovereign wear an emblem of the silver laurel leaf. The Commendation Star awarded by the Chief Constable is worn on the left sleeve of the uniform jacket with the centre of the star 17.78cm from the bottom of the cuff. https://www.lincs.police.uk/media/1646/awards-policy-pd-63.pdf

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
Goodness me ! Speaking to my sister on the phone the other day we somehow started talking about this. It transpires that she has the actual cutting from the newspaper describing the court case. It seems the date of the incident was September 11th so I just now need to know the year for sure.