Author Topic: John Arthur Davies  (Read 804 times)

Offline shop175

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Arthur Davies
« on: Monday 27 March 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
I am stuck! I'm looking for my 2 x Gt Grandfather's death. He was baptised on 28th December, 1817 in Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire. The 1851 Census shows him as a Rail Straightener living at the Rhymney Valley Steelworks. He married Mary Owen in Newport in 1853 and they had three children Eleanor, Mary and William. I have been able to trace the family up to 1881 when John was a lodger in Hill Street, Ebbw Vale, still working as a Rail Straightener. Eleanor married in July 1881 and the certificate shows her father and his occupation. His wife died in September 1889 and is shown to be resident at 3 West View Terrace, Ebbw Vale (which adjoins Hill Street) and is described as a widow. The daughter, Mary, moved into West View Terrace after her mother's death so I know that it is the correct certificate.

I have obtained numerous death certificates for John Davies in the Bedwellty area but none seem to match, being either the wrong age or occupation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Arthur Davies
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
There is a record for John Davies in the Index to Death Duty Registers in 1884 Ebbw Vale, Executor Mary Davies, Number of Affidavit 2999, Court Llandaff. Perhaps you could check this with The Archive that hold these records.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
There is a record for John Davies in the Index to Death Duty Registers in 1884 Ebbw Vale, Executor Mary Davies, Number of Affidavit 2999, Court Llandaff. Perhaps you could check this with The Archive that hold these records.

That looks like this one on the probate index
Administration (NOT Will) of the estate of John Davies late of 6 Lethbridge Terrace, Ebbw Vale -Coal contractor to widow Mary Davies same address.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
It can be checked at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills that one seems to be a coal contractor living in Ebbw Vale, but not at any of the streets mentioned.

Have you tried the new GRO index it gives age at death, need to register if not already.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Was just about to post Rosie so will go ahead.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline shop175

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to those who replied but unfortunately this is not my relative. I have now established that John is shown in the Electoral register at 3 West View Terrace, Ebbw Vale for 1887, so logically he must have died between 1886 and September, 1889.