Author Topic: Harry Davies b1907 Southsea.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry Davies b1907 Southsea.
« on: Monday 27 March 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
Harry Davies was b in 1907 to John Edward Davies & his wife Sarah Jane nee Jones.
In 1911 they lived at Rosemount, Southsea, Wrexham.
I'm pretty sure I've found his death & Will which reads: Harry Davies of Townditch, Burton, Rossett, Wrexham, died 18 July 1941, money left to Clara Davies, the widow.

I cannot find this Clara who he married, & I cannot find her re marrying after he died as he was only 34 when he died & she must have been a similar age.    Can't find any children either.  Can anyone do better than me please?

If he died in Rossett I was wondering if anyone could find his grave & see if anyone else was buried with him please??

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Amberly.

Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Davies b1907 Southsea.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
The Harry Davies death in Wrexham, September qtr 1941 is shown as 62 years old?
So born c1879?

1939 National Register has a Clara Davies, living with Harry and 4 more people, in Wrexham Rural District.
Clara was born 1883
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
One other point worth making is that you would do well to have an exact birth for him(birthdate ideally).You can't for sure take a birthyear as read from a Census entry.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
I'd agree - searching 1911 identifies a couple of the right names and ages for the death and 1939 entries mentioned above, in the right area

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
According to the GRO Index Harry Davies birth registered Mar.qtr.1907 Wrexham, mmn Jones - the reference numbers are 11B 257.

Harry Davies would have been born in late 1906 or from Jan.-Mar.1907 and with such a common name you need to know his actual birthdate to try and pinpoint him in available records.   There is no guarantee that he even stayed in the same area as an adult.

I think you need his birth certificate.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied.   Trevor & Harry were my father's cousins so I know Harry's wife was Clara but I don't know anymore about her.     I've searched FindMyPast, Anc, Family Search & NWBMD & cannot find an exact birthdate for Harry but I did for his brother.  However the 1911 census is the most reliable of all as the head of the household usually filled it in themselves, so was more accurate than previous ones.

However Annette is most likely correct with his birth in the 1Q of 1907.    I was hoping someone maybe had the Broughton Parish records & could look it up for sure.     I realize there were 4 Harry Davies, born in 4 consecutive years in the Wrexham area but I know he was born in Broughton which would be great if someone was able to do a look up, please.

Where did you KGarrad find that the Harry Davies who died in 1941 was 62 yrs old???   The Will didn't indicate an age.  I couldn't find one at all!

Thanks to you all, & any more ideas from anyone would be great.

Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 03:23 BST (UK) »
I use FreeBMD to look up Births, Marriages and Deaths.
The Deaths have an age at death from 1866 - and the GRO Index Search (also free!) has ages for all deaths since 1837, and up to 1915.

The GRO search also shows a Mother's maiden name for all births to 1915 - except for illegitimate births.

www.freeBMD.org.uk
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Even if someone was able to check the Broughton parish records for you for his baptism there is no guarantee that his actual birthdate will be shown as well.  They often weren't.

How sure are you that his wife's name was Clara?   Through various sources I've found a Harry Davies who was born 15/12/1906 who married a Ceridwen Hughes in 1940 Ruthin.   Both appear to have been in Ruthin in 1939 but neither appear to be with family so more than likely not born Ruthin itself.

This Harry died 1989 and his wife Ceridwen not until 2014.

However, without knowledge of your Harry's actual birthdate we can't be sure of anything.

Surely it is worth the cost of his birth certificate to confirm this?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad for reminding me of Freebmd's, I'd forgotten all about them.   Since I'm so often searching for Welsh people I have got into the habit of just using NWBMD's.

Annette I try so hard not to keep spending money on certs, I already have dozens of them!    Also this guy is on a twig on my tree not a main branch & he had 11 siblings so I can't keep buying certs for all these people.   But thanks for your help anyway.

Appreciate everyone who has offered advice on this topic, thanks.
Amberly.