Author Topic: Parents of William Cooper born abt 1842 Earsdon. A bit of a head scratcher  (Read 2822 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of William Cooper born abt 1842 Earsdon. A bit of a head scratcher
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
So in 1851 we have;   
John Smith, 90. Pauper, born Northd, Shilbottle   (1761)
Elizabeth Smith, 87, born Northd, Alnwick   (1764)
Mary Juan Ramsay, 8, Granddaughter, born Northd, Holywell*** image is Mary Ann

I am not convinced these are Mary Smiths Parents.
They may be Marys Grandparents and Mary Ann Ramseys Great Grandparents given their ages.

1841 Census
Earsden
John Smith, 85, Coal Miner
Elizabeth, 70
MARY, 20***
John, 14, Coal Miner
Thomas, 10, Coal Miner
Jane, 10

As I said you need the 1846 M/C

Hi Trish

It does seem as if John and Elizabeth would have been quite an age to have had Mary and after seeing the 1841 census I`m wondering who the parents of the younger children are. I have just found a christening on ancestry for a Mary Smith 26 september 1819 in Shilbottle, Northumberland with parents names John Smith and Elizabeth so I`m not sure if he is the old John Smith or a Junior John Smith lol

Susan

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
i`ve just done a search for births around Shilbottle 10 years before and 10 years after 1819 with parents John Smith and Elizabeth and came up with the following baptisms

Elizabeth Smith 12th April 1812 father John Smith mother Elizabeth Arkle in Shilbottle
William Smith 4th September 1814 father John Smith mother Elizabeth Smith in Shilbottle
Robert Smith 14th May 1817 father John Smith mother Elizabeth in Shilbottle
Mary Smith 1819 fathers name John Smith mother Elizabeth in Shilbottle
Mathew Smith 1824 fathers name John Smith mother Elizabeth Smith in Shlbottle

There is a marriage for John Smith and Elizabeth Arkle 28th February 1797 in Eglingham

I then did a search of births from 1797 for to see if there were older children and it turns out they had a son called John Smith.

John Smith born 25th sept 1799 baptised 19th Oct 1800 in Beadnell, fathers name John Smith mothers name Elizabeth Arkle
Isabel baptised 25th dec 1797 in Eglingham father John Smith mother Elizabeth Smith
Jane Smith baptised 14th feb 1802 in Beadnell, fathers name John Smith mothers name Elizabeth Arkle.

Its back to the drawing board  :'(

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 March 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
Every one dreads having a Smith in their Tree as they are a nightmare to sort out!

I think you have the right John/Elizabeth nee Arkle.

As Mary Ann Ramsey is down with John/Elizabeth as her Grandparents in 1851 I suppose it is possible they are.
So this may be her Mother;
Mary Smith 1819 fathers name John Smith mother Elizabeth in Shilbottle.

Need to do some maths to see how old Elizabeth would be then!

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 March 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
Someone has a actual image of the Baptism of John Smith 1800 in Beadnell on their Anc Tree.
They seem to be descended from William 1814.
They have the 1841 Census for William but havent worked out that living 2 doors away are his Parents!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 March 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Someone has a actual image of the Baptism of John Smith 1800 in Beadnell on their Anc Tree.
They seem to be descended from William 1814.
They have the 1841 Census for William but havent worked out that living 2 doors away are his Parents!

Hi Trish

I decided to trwal through the bishops transcripts for Shilbottle last night and I found the baptism for Mary Smith baptised 26th Sept 1819 in Shilbottle but to me it looks like James Smith and Elizabeth that are the parents. She is also on free reg with James and Elizabeth so it seems like ancestry have it wrong. It dosent seem like John had a son called James. I saw the image on ancestry you mentioned and the census. They have probably been looking for his parents for a long time and the clue is right there in front of them literally doors away. I found once when tracing my 3 x great grandparents that they were both on the same census and both living with their parents so grew up as neighbours. I was looking for one and got 2 togeher

Susan

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Its lucky you have the Shilbottle Transcripts.

Good luck with it all and I hope I was of some help.

Trish :)