Author Topic: Re: Robert Farren  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Farren
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 March 17 20:47 BST (UK) »
I've mainly looked for Robert "Montana" Ferrens in America.  Has anyone found possibilities for this man elsewhere (Ireland, England, Canada)?

I've not yet found his immigration record, nor either Robert in 1900.  Unless they were heading west and perhaps were not counted during the 1900 census, where were they/he in 1900?  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 August 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Thanks very much for all your help.

This could be him in 1910?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RK3-V57

Immigration year 1890 it would be great if this record could be found.

Thanks for all your help as always very much appreciated.

Kieran.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 September 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
Great find; perhaps that is him.

Robert was living with George Coulson in 1910.  I just started to look around for information about George, as he claimed he immigrated in 1890, also.  I thought perhaps they met at some point in 1890 and if we found George, perhaps Robert would be nearby.

However, looking at the 1900 census for George, he stated he immigrated in 1888.  So, it appears that immigration dates were not exact (as I've found to be true with my own ancestors who "sailed across the pond").

Note: Taking a second look at the 1910 census, Robert was living near George, not with George and his family.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

This is all great.  Margaret was also know as Martha McLaughlin. 
I was told that the Farrens did originate from Donegal from I have never found out where.

Thanks again for all your help

Kieran

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 February 22 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help.  Here is a bit of an update on Robert Farren

The Valuation Revision Book covering Muldonagh for the period 1883 - 1898, viewable on the PRONI website, shows a house, office and land of just over 9 acres against Robert Farren's name, which has been crossed out and replaced, suggesting that he had indeed died or moved by 1898.

The following advert appeared in the Derry Journal the day after his wife died, 6 March 1895:

Then there is the following notice 5 months later in the Derry Journal of 12 August 1895,

Tried to add the images but cant attach

Thanks for all your kind help as always very much appreciated

Kieran

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 March 22 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your help.  Here is a bit of an update on Robert Farren

The Valuation Revision Book covering Muldonagh for the period 1883 - 1898, viewable on the PRONI website, shows a house, office and land of just over 9 acres against Robert Farren's name, which has been crossed out and replaced, suggesting that he had indeed died or moved by 1898.

The following advert appeared in the Derry Journal the day after his wife died, 6 March 1895:

Then there is the following notice 5 months later in the Derry Journal of 12 August 1895,

Tried to add the images but cant attach

Thanks for all your kind help as always very much appreciated

Kieran

Can anyone locate Robert after 1895

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 March 22 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Possibly the burial of Robert Ferren who immigrated c1890:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jtk/
Robert Ferrens, died 7 December 1934.  Buried Calvary Cemetery, Gibson Flats, MT
Date of birth is unknown.

Great Falls Tribune
Great Falls, Montana
Saturday, December 08, 1934
Page 9

Robert Ferrens, 85,
Dies in This City

Robert Ferrens, 85, a resident of this city for several years, died at a local hospital Friday morning following a lingering illness. The body is at the O'Connor funeral chapel pending arrangements. Mr. Ferrens had been in the hospital for the last three or four years. Prior to his illness, he had worked as a laborer here. A sister, residing in the east, survives.

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 March 22 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks very much for trying to break down this wall.  I have never been able to find his marriage details or his or his wife's birth.  All I know for certain is that after his wife died he sold up and moved somewhere.  The rest of the family were found.  Could he have went to Scotland as his son was living in Scotland at that time? His son Pat got married in 1899 to Margaret Storrie Or did he move to the USA I have no real clues to go on.

Thanks very much for your kind help

Kieran