Author Topic: Old Surnames-What can they tell us about ourselves?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Gone.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Surnames-What can they tell us about ourselves?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Just to add a bit more ... I had another look on the internet about the book and there is an interesting Guardian article about it which, to pick up on  Andrew Tarr's comment above, says

"About half of the 20,000 most common names are locative, meaning they come from places; a quarter are relationship names, such as Dawson; and a fifth are nicknames.

About 8% are occupational, including less familiar ones such as Beadle (church official), Rutter (musician), and Baxter (baker). The nicknames are not always straightforward: the early Shorts may have earned theirs because they were tall."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/17/dictionary-of-50000-surnames-and-their-origins-published

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I would love to get a look in that book at my main surname interest.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
   I can access it on-line through my library membership, but I don't know how many places do this. I was actually rather disappointed when I checked my main interest -it seemed to be much the same as the entry in a reference book I used years ago, possibly Reaney. And that was fairly vague. Another of my names does not appear, although there are 68 entries in 1881.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I also have access using my library card (Hampshire) so maybe access is available at most libraries.
The description of the origins of my name just seem to be a guess really. Due to the small numbers (and seemingly decreasing numbers) of my name, 70-80 in the UK, I believe the origins must be "someone with low fertility" or "one who has no desire for children". :)

Simon

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
I also have access using my library card (Hampshire) so maybe access is available at most libraries.
The description of the origins of my name just seem to be a guess really. Due to the small numbers (and seemingly decreasing numbers) of my name, 70-80 in the UK, I believe the origins must be "someone with low fertility" or "one who has no desire for children". :)

Simon

This question of the etymology of surnames is an intriguing one. The surname I research everyone assumes is associated with the sheep/wool industry but are amazed when I explain to them it isn't. However, who first decided my surname is to do with a settlement on a curved piece of land? The lack of a source troubles me but I tend to believe it.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area