Author Topic: German Newspapers - anyone know how I can find an obituary?  (Read 371 times)

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German Newspapers - anyone know how I can find an obituary?
« on: Tuesday 28 March 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandfather, Walter Kulick (d.o.b. 13/01/1883; d.o.d. 30.12.1977; burial 13/01/1978) had an obituary placed in the Spandauer Volksblatt on the 8 January 1978 
according to www.familienanzeigen.genealogy.net.

I was wondering how I can get a copy.  Does Germany have a newspaper subscription like the BNA and, if so, does anyone have a sub and would be happy to do a look up for me please? 

Thanks   

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: German Newspapers - anyone know how I can find an obituary?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
There's a thing called the Zeitschriftendatenbank, which I looked at on the web site of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, but as far as I can work out it tells you only which libraries in Germany and Austria hold copies of a particular newspaper.
It seems you would have to go to Berlin or Frankfurt and order the relevant bound volume.

I have a suspicion your "obituary" will turn out to be just a Todesanzeige, a death notice, which will tell you little: perhaps the names of the grieving relatives who placed the announcement.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Das "Spandauer Volksblatt" is now the Spandau local edition of the "Berliner Woche"

I haven't seen any references to archives on their web site, but
there is a contact address at the bottom of this page
http://service.berliner-woche.de/verlag/

Perhaps a query there might help.

If not ...
"Im stadtgeschichtlichen Archiv in der Zitadelle Spandau können die fast vollständigen Jahrgänge der Zeitung, teilweise auch des Spandauer Anzeigers eingesehen werden."
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandauer_Volksblatt
(in the city history archive in the Spandau Citadel you can see the almost complete yearly issues
[of the Berliner Woche],  including part-issues of the Spandaer Volksblatt)

So maybe part of your query could be whether the issue you are looking for can be found in the Citadel :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline js

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.  I agree, it will probably just have the family names listed. 

I will try contacting them as suggested Bob.  You never know.

Thanks for your help!