Author Topic: Help trace Irish origin of Sigerson family of OK, NE, NM  (Read 969 times)

Offline Sig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help trace Irish origin of Sigerson family of OK, NE, NM
« on: Tuesday 28 March 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for reading this.
Trying to trace record of Irish-born antecedents for the Sigerson famliy of Oklahoma, Nebraska, & New Mexico (circa 1900.) 
May be branches in Missouri &/or Texas.
Migrated to California & to NYC circa 1935 - 1940.
This surname is unusual in US, Ireland & UK.

Some evidence of antecedent who fought in American Revolution (Robert Sigerson).

Many family members of note, in publishing, industry, architecture, politics, fashion, etc.  But members generally scattered, elusive, shy, & not very helpful / interested in their own history. Ignorance of our origins is general & getting worse with each generation. 

Would be glad to fill in a family tree form online; but have had tech problems with that so far.

Very much obliged if someone can offer any info / suggestions.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help trace Irish origin of Sigerson family of OK, NE, NM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have these folks on any census records?  If not, you should start with the people you know and work back from there until you get someone who was alive as of 1940.

Any detail that you can provide as far as date/place of birth, marriage, and death, family names, occupations, etc., will allow us to help.  Just be sure to only provide information about people that you know are deceased, for privacy reasons.

Offline Sig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
HI. Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Beg pardon for my long silence. (No doubt you realize how often people make resolutions to follow up on this sort of thing, but wander away.  Misplaced login info for a while, etc.)

I've certainly plenty of people I know who were alive in 1940, & who may have turned up on a census.

One difficulty is I haven't a device at the moment that's equal to online family tree formats. (Can't handle the code, etc) 

Another challenge is that it seems our nearest Irish antecedent was well before 1900; possibly even before 1800.

I guess the question is where to start entering my info into the system..?

Your suggestions are very good, I understand that a family tree layout can be used/saved/stored for free at ancestry.co.uk. (But doubt I could do much with it until I can get a newer device.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts & encouragement.
Sig

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 August 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
You can search all US censuses and numerous other US records for free here:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&region=UNITED_STATES

There were at least 60 Sigersons in the 1940 census [maybe more with spelling variants] and they were located all over the country.

You can enter your family tree data at FamilySearch if you want to have it online.  There is also free software available if you want to keep a tree on your computer.  For example:

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

I have never used that program and so cannot comment on its usability.  I myself use the old PAF program that used to be available for free from FamilySearch. It is no longer supported but you can still download it here:

http://personal-ancestral-file.software.informer.com/5.2/

I have found that PAF works fine for me and I don't need anything fancier.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 August 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As you have not stated approx. birth year, I would need more info if possible.
You do have to work backwards from the last name that you have, with hard evidence like printed docs. etc. with confirmed info.
Then I may be able to help.
Ok
Maggsie

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Would be glad to fill in a family tree form online; but have had tech problems with that so far.

Computers and I don't get along.  I also started researching before I had a computer.  For those reasons, my most complete tree is on a penciled-in "5-generation chart".  (I tend to only research my direct ancestors, so this isn't as difficult as it sounds.)  I typically wouldn't suggest that people record their facts on paper, but it could be a way for you to get the known facts down.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)