Author Topic: Thomas Holland (b.1800)  (Read 4849 times)

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Holland (b.1800)
« on: Tuesday 27 July 04 20:00 BST (UK) »
I'm currently (now desperately! ::) ) trying to find the parents and birthplace of Thomas Holland.  He was born c.1800.  He must have moved to Cornwall when he was quite young, as he was living in Kea at the time of his marriage to Maria Clarke on 12 March 1826.  He died aged 46 in 1846 in St.Clement.

I have located him on the 1841 census and it states he was born 'outside census county'.  The original marriage record says only that he was from Kea, which obviously isn't his actual place of birth.

Any help with this would be great.  Am I missing any sources that could help me find him???
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline jenjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Holland (b.1800)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 04 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiya!

Am currently in the process of checking my own records (in Adelaide, South Australia - I am now in Melbourne), but believe your Thomas Holland might be my g.g.g.g.grandfather! I am descended from a T. Holland who was from Truro, Cornwall. His son, William, emigrated to South Aust in the early 1860's (if my memory serves me correctly), and was a shoemaker in Adelaide. I know that there are records of properties owned by (my) Holland family which were discovered by another family member a few years ago. No doubt you will be interested in those if you haven't got them already. Will let you know if we are looking at the same family! If so, would be most interested in any info you have :)
Holland (Cornwall), Hollidge

Offline jenjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 September 04 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiya!

Have checked some of my records - I think Thomas may have been born in 1797 (earlier than I thought, anyway), and yes, it is the same family we're looking at! Was interested to see in 1891 Cornwall census that Maria Holland (nee Clarke) was still alive and living with her duaghter Mary Mathews (although the ages seem to be out by a couple of years - wondering if the ages of the 2 girls in the 1841 census are around the wrong way).
Hope you have discovered this already:-)

Jennie

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 04 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennie

Wow! :o ;D  Thanks for responding to my message - I posted it quite a while ago and had almost given up hope!  I've just got back from a week in Cornwall, where I managed to photograph some of the roads where our ancestors lived.

Maria Holland (nee Clarke) lived to the grand old age of 88; dying on 26 September 1892 (112 years today).

I'm guessing that your William Holland is the son of Thomas and Maria, born 1828 and christened on 9 March of the same year.  I haven't been able to find any further information on him until now!

I don't know how much info you've got, so I'll write a bit down of what I have...

Thomas and Maria had six children: William (b.1828), Mary Ann (b.1832 - who married Simon Mathews), Elisa Jane (b.1835), John Clark (b.1840), Thomas Paul (b.1842 - my g.g. grandfather; he was a shoemaker too!) and Grace (b.1846).

Maria Clarke was born in St. Clements, Cornwall on 13 May 1804.  Her parents were John Clarke and Ann (possibly Ann Annear, b.1783, if I've got their marriage on 7 July 1803 right).

Thomas Holland, however, is a complete mystery.  I have a photocopy of the part of the marriage register he appears in.  I have his date of marriage and date of death.   Unfortunately when I was in Cornwall last week, I couldn't locate a tombstone for him (or any Holland), which was extremely disappointing.

There are other Hollands who appear on the 1841 census as being born outside census county - some of whom I found on the 1881 census, where it gives their birthplace as Middlesex.  There's nothing substantial to link them to Thomas though.

Argh, it's all so messy!

Mary Ann's age should have been 8 or 9 on the 1841 census, but I've always thought the mistake was probably a transcription error, because she's listed before her sister Eliza meaning she would have been older.  Maria's age is also wrong too, as you've probably noticed.

If there's any info you need and I've got it, I'd be more than happy to send it to you or post it here.

Claire
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline jenjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 11:56 BST (UK) »
 Hi Claire!
;D
i wasn't sure if you'd been on line again since i replied to your plea for help! and you've answered another question - which line you're on!
I will endeavour to work out how you can send messages directly to me without broadcasting my personal email to the world!
will be in touch soon!

jennie

Offline tblee123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 February 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know this is a really old post but I have some interesting information on these people. If either of you want to make contact I would be pleased to share it with you.
Thanks, Tom.

Offline Geoff Holland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am a direct descendent of Thomas Holland and his son William Holland who emigrated to Adelaide, was a shoemaker, Grand Master of the Masons, and Adelaide City Alderman.  (William's son Thomas had a son George Harold Holland who had a son Maxwell Bishop Holland who is my father).

I know four of Charlotte Edwards' grandparents (Charlotte was Williams first wife).  I have photos of William and his son Thomas.

Will try to upload a file (I just now joined this site).

Would appreciate contact from any of you interested in this family.

Best wishes,
Geoff Holland