Author Topic: Death certificates for those lost at sea.  (Read 1169 times)

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificates for those lost at sea.
« on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
my great uncle was lost at sea in 1902 after falling overboard from HMS Angler.It would appear that no GRO death certificate was issued(or at least it can't as yet be found).Can anyone tell me if there is a criteria that dictates if a member of HM RN is lost at sea that this happens or if this is unusual.

Trisha

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificates for those lost at sea.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
It's not at all unusual. I noticed several years ago that the indexes of Marine Deaths seemed to contain mainly deaths on merchant ships, very few from RN ships. The indexes from 1910 onwards were typed, instead of handwritten, so it is quite easy to run your eye over the pages and see that there are only a very few HM ships listed. The numbers increased during the war years, but a few spot checks show many naval deaths on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site that are not in the Marine Deaths indexes.

So I looked at the legislation, but found that the 1874 Act for the Registration of Births and Deaths contained virtually identical provisions for the registration of deaths on Merchant Navy and Royal Navy ships. Notification was supposed to be sent to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen, or to the Admiralty, for merchant and RN ships respectively. The details were then to be forwarded to the Registrar General of England and Wales, Scotland or Ireland as appropriate.

I think the operative phrases must be  'in such form or manner as the Board of Trade may direct' and 'as the Commissioners of the Admiralty may direct'. I can only conclude that the Board of Trade chose to direct, and the Admiralty chose not to. If someone who knows about the inner workings of the Admiralty can shed any light on this, I'd love to know!

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thanks for the info.I wonder if it makes any difference at all if his body was never found.I personally wouldn't have thought so but you never know.From the newspaper reports they seem to have flung a buoy at him,watched him sink and then after a short while the whole flotilla just sailed on without trying to recover the body.
BTW-out of pure ignorance,why would a stoker be on deck in the middle of manoeveures to fall overboard in the first place.I thought stokers worked below decks.

Trisha :) :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
The old adage - strange things happen at sea - may come in somewhere.

My 2x great grandfather died at sea in 1873.  The Death at sea Cert. states that he died Of Sunstroke - this was on 1st March, , and occurred just 10 days out of England.

I've often wondered how anyone can get sunstroke at that time of year - just 10 days out of England!

He was buried at sea.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
BTW-out of pure ignorance,why would a stoker be on deck in the middle of manoeveures to fall overboard in the first place.I thought stokers worked below decks.

Stokers (and engineers) needed fresh air and sunlight when they were not working!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TrishaG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
what!! I thought stokers never saw the light of day-lol. ;)
However,it would appear,according to the" Belper news " that they were undergoing "collision training"at that very moment,so that might be why he was on deck.

Trisha :) :) :)