Author Topic: Planning a trip to Manchester Central library  (Read 722 times)

Offline Lyndseywood1990

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Planning a trip to Manchester Central library
« on: Wednesday 29 March 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all, firstly apologies if I've posted in the wrong topic group. As the title says I am planning a visit to Manchester Central library, being fortunate enough to live quite close I thought I'd make  the most and see if I can get any additional info on my family history.

So my question is Has anybody been to central library for history/archives?  What can I expect? And also do you have any tips etc....

Thank you all in advance

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a trip to Manchester Central library
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen this:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/centrallibrary
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

What is it your looking for?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Manchester have done a deal with Ancestry so many of their parish registers are now online there. More recent registers are still only on film or the original books.

A few years back I used to be able to get there on my way home from work, park close by and get a few hours research. Then the council changed the hours for parking meters, and the cost skyrocketed, so my visits are now few and far between.

The main reason for my recent visits has been the fiche of recent BMD registrations, and fiche of adoption registers, which have been invaluable for my ONS.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 17 19:00 BST (UK) »

Are you able to do any Look-ups Lyndseywood1990? (I'm in Hertfordshire, and so Manchester is a bit of a trek for me:-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
I go there now and again. Great for looking up original births marriages etc. Also for searching electoral rolls. There is a branch of the Lancashire and Manchester family history society there...they're always willing to help. Helps if your a member though. Depends what you are looking for.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk