Author Topic: Hood family - Grey, Canada - birth information  (Read 1222 times)

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hood family - Grey, Canada - birth information
« on: Wednesday 29 March 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
can anyone help trace birth details for some of my ancestors? All I have to go on at the moment are based on the 1871 Scottish census and 1881 England census. I'm trying to track any birth records for the following children of John Hood (occupation saddler) and Frances Hood (nee Bradley) who originally came from the UK but were married in New York in 1860, presumably moved to Canada shortly thereafter, and finally returned to Scotland before 1871 :

Franklin Hood - born c1863 Grey, Canada
Maggie Hood - born c1867 Grey, Canada
Frederick Donald Hood - born c1869 - Grey, Canada (presumed)

I have trawled through numerous web-sites including the Canadian information available via Ancestry, the records available on the Library and Archives Canada site and also Bill Martin's genealogy pages and the only possible reference I can find is of a John Hood listed in part 3 of the Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Grey for the Year 1865-66 as living in Hanover. Any help would be gratefully received,
thanks in advance
Nigel
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hood family - Grey, Canada - birth information
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has a Frederick Donald Hood marriage to Carrie Sanor in Santa Clara California on 28 Jan 1903, his bd 1870, bp Canada.  They also have a death for Frederick Donald Hood 7 Dec 1945 in Los Angeles Caliornia, his birth from this record given as 29 Oct 1866 Canada.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has a Frederick Donald Hood marriage to Carrie Sanor in Santa Clara California on 28 Jan 1903, his bd 1870, bp Canada.  They also have a death for Frederick Donald Hood 7 Dec 1945 in Los Angeles Caliornia, his birth from this record given as 29 Oct 1866 Canada.

Hi manawakian,
Thank you very much for that info., so starts another line of enquiry!
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Frederick Hood is easily found in the 1910, 1920, 1930 & 1940 censuses of Los Angeles.  In all of them he claims arrival in the usa in 1884.  Haven't found his arrival on passenger lists yet but have found this:

Frances HOOD age 50 widow
Franklin HOOD age 22 laborer
David HOOD age 11 child
Jane HOOD age 18 servant

The above group arrived in New York on 20 Sep 1884 aboard the QUEEN.  I suspect Jane is either the sibling shown as Maggie in the 1871 census or Franklin's wife.  They are shown as left from Plymouth and heading to Baltimore.  No trace of John's death ca 1881-84 in England on Free BMD.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi manawakian, many thanks for that. I've managed to get an actual copy of that manifest and it def looks like my family. Strange that Frederick Donald isn't there though. I believe Jane is Franklin's wife (actual name Mary Jane but sometimes referred to as Jennie) as they got married earlier that year in Scarborough, UK. Frances is Frederick's (and Franklin's) mother and that is another pointer that the Frederick you identified as living in California is indeed my relative as his daughter was also called Frances. Just wondering what happened to the father, John, seeing as Frances is shown as widow. He was at Franklin's wedding so that suggests he died in 1884 but there is no trace of his death in the UK according to FreeBMD. And where did Frances and son David end up? I've assumed they stayed in the States seeing as they don't appear on any further UK census sheets, or maybe went back to Canada, but I've trawled through as much info as I can without any luck so far. And where is Maggie!
This genealogy is so frustrating (especially it seems for my direct family) - just as you solve one riddle you get presented with 3 others. But I am well and truly hooked  ;D
Thanks again for all your help, if i can reciprocate in any way just let me know

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Here is a John Hood noted in 1858 as the owner of Lot 11, Concession 2 SDR (South of the Durham Road) in Bentinck Township, Grey County (southeast of the village of Hanover). This would suggest he was there earlier than you think.  It changed hands in 1862 when it was owned by a Robert Leslie. Unfortunately, the Hoods don't show up in the 1861 Census in Bentinck Township.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 April 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Eileen, thanks for finding that out. That suggests that he likely met his wife Frances whilst in Canada and hence they went to New York to get married in 1860. Maybe she lived in Bentinck too? I did wonder how they met seeing as her birthplace is listed as near to London whereas he was born in Scotland. Thanks again!

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Where did you find the marriage in 1860 New York?

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi manawakian, I got that off David Hood's birth certificate (b 31/12/1872 in Tain, Scotland) who was on that passenger list you found for me