Author Topic: Nancy Willoughby  (Read 1587 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Willoughby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Death of Michael Collins from Fibis:

The Times of India, Issue 19th Feb 1872.

16th Feb 1872 at Byculla (a neighbourhood of Bombay (now Mumbai))

"Feb 16th at Byculla of Diarrhoea Michael Collins Esq Assistant Superintendent GIP Telegraph aged 34 years deeply regretted by a sorrowing widow and large circle of relations and friends."

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Marriage of Michael Collins to Emma Willoughby on familysearch here: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGNX-79D

The marriage took place on 31st March 1862 & Emma was apparently only 15 years of age!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
I wish to thank all of you for your great research and reply to my inquiry. With your help I now have the birth/baptism and parents of Nancy Nicolaidi a.ka. Annie Jane Nicolaidi  nee Annie Jane Willoughby Crisp. Also you gave me her grandparents on both sides of the family and some siblings.

I am not interested in information regarding any more of her siblings but have a few questions.

Firstly from the marriage record of Michael Panuty Nicolaidi 3rd qtr 1908 in Croydon Surrey there are two women listed as possible wives namely Nancy Willoughby and Annie Jane Crisp and I know from the probate record for Nancy that she was given in that record as Annie Jane Nicolaidi "otherwise Nancy".  Can anyone provide a rational explanation as to why Annie Jane Nicolaidi would also be going under the name of Nancy?  I don't have the marriage certificate that might clarify this question.

At some point in time Nancy /Annie found her way from India to England in time for her marriage in 1908 in Croydon. I wonder why the marriage was in Croydon (did she live there ?). Can someone give me any details (date/location) of her move from India to England and from that date some details of her wherebouts up to the time of the 1908 marriage?

Are there any British census records for Nancy/Annie before her marriage and I cant seem to find a 1911 census for her. She and her husband Michael had three children for whom I have very little information. Below is what I know about her children

1) Willoughby (possibly Michael Willoughby Nicolaidi) possibly born 4th qtr 1910 Kensington, London. Family info says he emigrated to New Zealand at age 17 and never came back. I believe he is the father of Michael Nicilaidi of New Zealand who was a journalist,arts administrator and a novelist who wrote the book "A Greekish Trinity". It is said the family lived in Croydon,Surrey; then moved to London and because of bombing of London in WW1 loved to Tunbridge Wells Kent in 1917 where both his parents died in 1920.  Since all of the children were still young when their parents died they were raised by a nanny.

2) Stephanie (possibly Stephanie E. Nicolaidi born September 18,1912 at Paddington, London who married John P. Hill in Tunbridge Wells, Kent in 1935 and who possibly died February 19,2010 in Lowestoft, Suffolk

3) Xeni Nancy Nicolaidi born 3rd qtr 1909 at Croydon Surrey. Don't have any more information about her.

Perhaps you can clarify or confirm the above and add to the story

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Firstly from the marriage record of Michael Panuty Nicolaidi 3rd qtr 1908 in Croydon Surrey there are two women listed as possible wives namely Nancy Willoughby and Annie Jane Crisp and I know from the probate record for Nancy that she was given in that record as Annie Jane Nicolaidi "otherwise Nancy".  Can anyone provide a rational explanation as to why Annie Jane Nicolaidi would also be going under the name of Nancy?  I don't have the marriage certificate that might clarify this question.

The marriage cert most probably won't answer this question, maybe she just fancied giving herself a pet name.

Maybe she had a falling out with her parents and called herself something else to distance herself from the family.

The marriage cert may indicate that she had a profession, might Nancy Willoughby have sounded better than Annie Jane Crisp to a prospective employer?

Have you seen this?

http://www.levantineheritage.com/nicolaidi.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Yes dawmsh I did see the website you referenced, it is the source of most of what I know of the family.

I did find out more about  "Willoughby Nicolaidi" referred to in that website and have confirmed that he was actually Michael Willoughby Nicolaidi born 4th qtr 1910 in Kensington, London, the son of Michael Panoty and "Nancy" Nicolaidi.  He was not age 17 when he moved to New Zealand  as stated on the website you referred to for immigration records gave him  as M.W. Nicolaidi who arrived at Queensland Australia November 8,1929 when he was age 19 on the ship BALRANALD. He subsequently moved to New Zealand where I find him with his wife Ellawy Beryl Nicolaidi, nere Page, who he married in 1933 in New Zealand. Michael became a sheepfarmer and later a storeman. By 1972 he retired. Both of them were still living in 1981. No information about them after 1981.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 March 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
so how are you related?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 March 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Im not related at all apart from the fact that 3 generations of my family lived in Tunbridge Wells and I have an interest in people like the Nicolaidi's who lived in Tunbridge Wells on Eden Road.