Author Topic: Looking for attestation/discharge records of Thomas WALTON, 57th Regiment  (Read 634 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi,

Can anyone please help me track down the enlistment details or discharge record for Thomas WALTON, born 1833 Cambridgeshire, England, died 1884 New Zealand.

I suspect that Thomas WALTON enlisted in the British Army about 1851 as I can’t find him in the 1851 UK Census. He served in the Crimea with the 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment, then with the same regiment in India and New Zealand. The 57th Regiment arrived in New Zealand in three drafts between January and May 1861.

Thomas was discharged (presumably in New Zealand) in 1863.

His name is included in the 57th Regiment’s New Zealand Medal claim list (see link below) which states he served two years and ten months in the field and gives the years, ‘1861, 2 & 3’ and “Discharged’.

So if the starting point is his arrival in New Zealand Thomas's date of discharge should date to between November 1863 and March 1864.

His name does not appear in the seminal reference work by H. & L. Hughes (1988). Discharged in New Zealand. Soldiers of the Imperial Foot Regiments who took their discharge in New Zealand 1840-1870.

I can’t find any records relating to him on A2A.

Might Thomas have taken his discharge in Australia, perhaps? I have no record of him leaving New Zealand and the timeline I have would suggest it is unlikely.

Further background on Thomas can be found here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=516877.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=509169.0

http://www.newzealandmedals.com/Images/57th/57thregtnzmedalroll.pdf

http://www.newzealandwars.com/index.php?title=Walton_Thomas_Fellows

I am in New Zealand so any help would be gratefully received.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for attestation/discharge records of Thomas WALTON, 57th Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

British Army, Worldwide Index 1861 on FindMyPast gives the following info:

Thomas Walton, Private, service number 2355 of the 57th Foot (West Middlesex) who were stationed at New Plymouth, New Zealand.

British Army, Worldwide Index 1851 also on FindMyPast gives the following info:

Thomas Walton, Private, service number 2355 of the 57th (The West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot  who were stationed at Dublin, Ireland. It states that they were stationed there from 1st Jan 1851 to 31st March 1851.

I don't see an army record for him as yet.

Hope the above helps anyway.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for attestation/discharge records of Thomas WALTON, 57th Regiment
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
David, you beaut!

Thank you very much for that. That 1851 entry confirms my suspicion that Thomas WALTON might have been in the Army from about 1851 given his non-appearance in the 1851 UK Census.

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL