Author Topic: "The Naval Flier"  (Read 477 times)

Offline mike800966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"The Naval Flier"
« on: Thursday 30 March 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Attached is a pic of who, I think, is my paternal grandfather. It sits here in a faded silver plate frame.
Can anyone help with the cap badge- does it conflict with the flying wings. I have had it suggested that he may have been a petty officer attached to airships? Wing collars,, 1920's?

Can you help please?

Thanks also to Andy for kindly resizing the image

Mike

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: "The Naval Flier"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
About two thirds down this web page http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235160-nieuport-scout-pilot-identification_rnas-or-rfc/ is an image of a cap badge identified as for RNAS ratings.

The Royal Naval Air Service was combined with the Royal Flying Corps to form the RAF in 1918, which suggests that the photo is probably before that date.

A quick Google image search for RNAS cap badge  shows more than one type of badge (some with anchors, some with birds) - I can't identify the precise image, but I would suggest that your man is c1915-1918 probably a petty officer.

Hope this helps.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Would you like to post his name and any other info - date/place of birth?
maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mike800966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone!  I have just been looking at the RNAS Navy records and they list a possible. That name is George Stephenson Borm Manchester July 1884
The one I am looking for is my grandfather George Burton Stephenson  From his birth cert. he was Born Barton upon Irwell nr Manchester 22/03/1887.
So I dont think thats the one
So I have a picture, a rank and a birth cert but I cant tie them together.. is that it?

Mike

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
I think you can eliminate the 1884 Stephenson  - he didn't make it above the rate of Able Seaman and the cap and badge are certainly that of a Petty Officer.

That said, I haven't been able to find a RN record or an RAF record or a candidate on the 1 Apr 1918 RAF muster roll which listed all those RNAS and RFC men who became RAF on that date.

Two thoughts occur - did your man possibly serve beyond 1920 in which case his record would not be on line but still with MOD.  Did he marry while in the service, his marriage cert would give some service details.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia