Author Topic: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?  (Read 14068 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
This is a favourite of mine, particularly because of the judge's remark at the end.

Stephen Wood, hawker (on bail) was charged with stealing a horse, value £10, the property of Charles William Wall, at Lichfield on October 18th.  Mr Boddam prosecuted, and Mr Kettle defended.  The prosecutor, who is a boatman, living at Alrewas, bought a horse at an auction sale at Lichfield, and afterwards took it to a hotel in that city.  The prisoner came there after him, and arranged to buy the horse from him.  They went into the hotel, and at prisoner’s request prosecutor made out a receipt for £10, the amount arranged to be paid for the animal.  The receipt read, “Bought, brown cob of C.W. Wall, at £10.  Received £1.”  The receipt bore a stamp, but it was not cancelled.  Wood paid £1, and asked prosecutor to accompany him to the Smithfield, where he said he would pay him the remaining £9.  On the way to the Smithfield prisoner asked to be allowed to get on the horse’s back.  Prosecutor consented, but held the bridle.  Suddenly, however, prisoner snatched the bridle out of his hand, and then galloped away.  He was followed to Birmingham, and arrested at 32, Summer Hill Street by Detective Taylor.  Prisoner then said that he had bought the horse, and was willing to pay for it as soon as he had the money.  Wall could not get blood out of a stone. – Mr Kettle submitted that the transaction was a bona fide one, and that the prisoner intended to pay for the horse when he had sold it. – His Lordship said the trick was a very old one, and it had been held, as long as two centuries back, that it was a theft to obtain anything by a trick.  – The jury found the prisoner guilty, and his lordship, in sentencing him to six months hard labour, said that if the prisoner had stolen the horse from a field in an honest way, so to speak, his offence would not have been so bad, but he had tried to defeat the law by a trick.

(17 Dec 1889, Birmingham Daily Post)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 May 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
This is a favourite of mine, particularly because of the judge's remark at the end.

"if the prisoner had stolen the horse from a field in an honest way, so to speak, his offence would not have been so bad, but he had tried to defeat the law by a trick"

;D  I'm sure there are many honest thieves  :D

That quote was brill, made me laugh.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 May 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
One of my Black Sheep....

This was in connection with the stolen whisky from the sunken SS Politician, 5th Feb 1941 between the islands of Eriskay & South Uist (Scotland).

"A case of whisky was found in the croft garden of Mrs Flora MacIntyre, 81, who became “severely distressed” on being apprehended, while three cases and 100 loose bottles were discovered buried in Donald Cumming’s stockyard. He claimed they had been put there while he was away at sea — what’s known in Scottish law as the “big boy did it an’ ran away” defence.
When the Eriskay ferry was called on by customs to intercept a boat believed to have been involved in the looting, it mysteriously failed to appear. By the time the customs officials turned up the next day, the vessel had put to sea, supposedly on a fishing trip."

He was an 'honest thief' as it now belonged to the sea  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 May 17 04:18 BST (UK) »
OH has two black sheep in her line, both convicts transported to Australia from Ireland.

He was transported for stealing cows, in company, and she was transported for stealing from he mistress.

At this stage, I am lily white :'( :'(

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 May 17 08:56 BST (UK) »

At this stage, I am lily white :'( :'(

Oh they're there, they'll reveal themselves in good time ;D ;D

Both my grandmothers would have been considered scandalous in their day, they did add some colourful history to the tree though. ;D ;D

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Sloe Gin that has to be the best ever quote !  :D :D :D

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:25 BST (UK) »

Brilliant!!

Another one of mine assaulted someone with his "billycock"

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:33 BST (UK) »

Brilliant!!

Jackie
Sounds painful  :D

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 May 17 09:43 BST (UK) »

It's a variety of hat.  Doesn't sound like a very vicious weapon though.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young