Author Topic: California birth and death records  (Read 962 times)

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
California birth and death records
« on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm researching one of my ancestors, Frederick Donald Hood, and have been made aware of 2 entries within FamilySearch  that may or may not relate to him.
The first is an entry in the California Death index 1940-1997 (died 7 Dec 1945) 
The second is an entry in California County Marriages 1850-1952 (event 28 Jan 1903)
Unfortunately no image is available for either so I was wondering if anybody knew if it is possible to buy these certificates?
thanks in advance
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks
Mostly from in and around the Birmingham area

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: California birth and death records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:37 BST (UK) »

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
You might be able to find the death certificate looking here - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2001287  Go to the bottom and click where it says "Browse through 2,915,415 images."  From there, you can go through the Los Angeles entries for 1945 by hand, because I think they are not all indexed. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
I found an obit in the Los Angeles Times from 10 Dec. 1945 that fits the death above.  It says he was a retired Los Angeles public school teacher who died at home.  Resided there for 40 years.  Funeral appears to be at Forest Lawn Mortuary.  Survived by widow Carrie and a married daughter.

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Shelleyesq, you are a superstar! I can't believe how exciting and frustrating this family tree research is, and yes, I know I should wait and try and get these verified properly (no parent's names listed on the marriage cert  :'( ) but everything does seem to be too co-incidental (they named their daughter Frances which was the name of my Frederick Donald's mother (and my 2nd great grandmother!) I really can't thank you enough!
Nigel
Hood, Walker, Gibbons, Welch, Murdy, Male, Webb, Martin, Gostling, Easthope, Maddocks

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
wow, what can I say, thank you so much RJ137, that is so unbelievably kind of you to go to that much trouble! I had started to look for Frederick's death certificate but gave up after an hour so you have probably saved me at least another day! What a shame his wife obviously didn't know his parent's details in order I could of 100% confirmed he is def the right one but I'm 99% certain thanks to everyone on here

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
slf28, You're welcome.

It wasn't any trouble at all and only took me a couple of minutes to pull the DC up. You were misinformed in an earlier post. The death certificates are indexed in a manner of speaking, so there is no need to browse thru them by hand (one by one).

Offline slf28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
slf28, You're welcome.

It wasn't any trouble at all and only took me a couple of minutes to pull the DC up. You were misinformed in an earlier post. The death certificates are indexed in a manner of speaking, so there is no need to browse thru them by hand (one by one).

Any help is gratefully received, I just hope one day I can repay all the assistance I have received already on this forum over the last couple of days. Genealogy is like a new adventure for me and I learn something new every day. The only trouble is, I also have a new question every day!