Author Topic: 19 Century Pubs Limekiln Lane, Liverpool  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Century Pubs Limekiln Lane, Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 March 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to read the writing on 79 Limekiln Lane on the "Old Maps UK" map and I think it just says spirit vaults which ties in with what Shaun said about this type of establishment. It's listed with the spirit vaults in 1843:-

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L96D-SNF6?i=1219&cat=553964

Blue

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 April 17 08:10 BST (UK) »
To everyone who replied, thank you very much.

Reply 4
garstonite, I have seen the 1824 baptism of Mary Gorst, parents William and Mary before. But it is too late for 'my' Mary, and William Gorst given consistently as Farmer at the 3 girl's marriages (though I know that Mary was a publican from at least the 1830s now).
Replies 5, 7, 8
Shaun, What a find of the newspaper clippings!  If Mary Gorst had put marriage notices for all the children I would be a lot closer, a lot quicker!  I have found them now myself, thanks.
And a number 79, Limekiln Lane, so definitely not Bevington Bush, which was at 1, Limekiln Lane (pity, I was trying to make a connection to the middle name of William Richard Bevington Gorst!).
Reply 10
Shaun, back to the 'problem' of William Gorst, Farmer, in marriage records.
Reply 12, 13
Blue, Thanks for finding all those references, they may help someone else looking for Bevington Bush records, but as you say, Mary Gorst was not running the Bush from 79, Limekiln Lane. And thanks for the map
Reply 14
cristeen, Thanks for that, 79, Limekiln Lane identified on a map.
Reply 16
Shaun, Always good to get back to the original question! And also good to get an answer, that 79, Limekiln Lane was a pub with no name.

So, I still haven't made a definite connection to this family, but now know quite a bit more about them. Thank you everyone.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 April 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
I did some research a while ago elsewhere on this area of Liverpool so the information was already available. The occupant list for the "Bush" is my research but the work identifying the original location was a joint effort. Hopefully it will help anyone doing a search.

Blue

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Quick update to anybody who followed this thread a year ago.

Autosomal DNA testing appears to prove that William Richard Bevington Gorst was related to at least Jane Gorst, who married Joseph Allen, and by definition to Elizabeth Ann Gorst and Mary Ann Gorst. 

Three Gorst children I have worked out from various census and marriage records were children of William Gorst, farmer, and Mary MNU, the publican of Limekiln Lane.

Elizabeth Ann Gorst, born c 1810, married first William Lyon and then Jonathan Phillips.
Mary Ann Gorst, born c 1815, with mother Mary in 1841, married John Duckers, in 1851 Mary snr shown as his 'sister in law'
Jane Gorst, born c 1817, married Joseph Allen, also shown with John Duckers in 1851 as sister in law.

No definite baptism records found for any of them, possibilities for Elizabeth and Mary under the name of Gorse.

However, my main Gorst interest is not with these girls, but with a potential brother, William Richard Bevington Gorst, born c 1817.  I cannot definitely link him with this family, but he married just before census night in 1841. Address given as Limekiln Lane, father's name William Gorst, farmer.

I don't think they were the children of either William Gorst and Mary Hughes or William Gorst and Mary Kirkham.

Margaret

Waiting for further DNA matches for confirmation, but it still doesn't solve their parentage!

Thanks to all of you again for solving the pub query.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go