Author Topic: Crimean war records  (Read 4796 times)

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crimean war records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 March 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
From that book linked to above, relevant quote:

"...Their head stockman was a man named White who had been a navvy in the Crimean War. He afterwards became a warder at Sunnyside and was killed by a lunatic."

The word 'navvy' suggests (to me, at any rate) either a dock docker, labourer or perhaps a Royal Navy seaman. Certainly not Army.

But if he arrived per Bangalore in 1851 it's all moot: he was in New Zealand for three years prior to the war commencing.

Spades

In Wikipedia there is a reference to Navvies working on the construction of the railway in 1855 for the Crimean war.   I am not aware if NZ would have sent anyone to this war ..

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 March 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
From that book linked to above, relevant quote:

"...Their head stockman was a man named White who had been a navvy in the Crimean War. He afterwards became a warder at Sunnyside and was killed by a lunatic."

The word 'navvy' suggests (to me, at any rate) either a dock docker, labourer or perhaps a Royal Navy seaman. Certainly not Army.

But if he arrived per Bangalore in 1851 it's all moot: he was in New Zealand for three years prior to the war commencing.

Spades

In Wikipedia there is a reference to Navvies working on the construction of the railway in 1855 for the Crimean war.   I am not aware if NZ would have sent anyone to this war ..

but think you are right  this appears to be a "tall tale"  .. or a misunderstanding..  as the book was written in the 1940s I am guessing the author is not available to verify sources.   Just wanted to see if there were any verifications I could find as I have seen a few pages with NZ in the Crimean and wasnt sure if there was a source I was overlooking

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 March 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census has Frederick White aged 30 as the Head Married to Mary A aged 40 born in
Netteswell, Essex, England    
Henry Nottage    is listed as Son-In-Law aged 13    born    Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England he is more likely to be Mary A's son by a previous marriage?    

Charles White is listed Father .Widower born    1781 occupation is Road Lab born Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England.

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 March 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
A Frederick White was baptized on 14 Jan 1821 in Sawbridgeworth parents Charles and Elizabeth,father's occupation labourer

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 March 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
A Henry Nottage was born on the 5th August 1838 in Sawbridgeworth to Mary Nottage he was baptized on the 19th August and is stated as BB of Mary

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 March 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
QUOTE:-....

but think you are right  this appears to be a "tall tale"  .. or a misunderstanding..  as the book was written in the 1940s I am guessing the author is not available to verify sources.   .........[/quote]

Balakava, the port of entry for the British Crimean Campaign, went from a little fishing village to a port where over 100 vessels were recorded attempting to discharge their cargo, or were in roadstead acting as accommodation, stores, ammo depots and hospital ships.

All trades in, and out of service, were engaged in building wharfs, warehouses, roads and a railway to get the necessities of war, off the ships, and up the valley.

It is quite probable that Mr White had a sibling or relative that was involved for a time, or the author was confusing the previous history of stockmen employed on the station.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 April 17 06:20 BST (UK) »
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 April 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Crimean War Records..........

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/crimean-war-records

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 April 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
You will have all this wonderful information about the son Henry, who is mentioned in the inquest concerning his father.........

[Marriage:1863/3982   Emma   Berry   Henry   White]

Photograph:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19340829.2.159.9?query=henry%20white

Photograph:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19330809.2.130.3?query=henry%20white

Obituary:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19340809.2.50?query=henry%20white

Obituary:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EG19340828.2.27?query=henry%20white

Account of the funeral:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19340830.2.135?query=henry%20white

Minniehaha.

thanks, aware of these articles, isnt it great when there is something in the papers that gives you a feel for how they lived their lives.