Author Topic: Catmore Berkshire Death and Burial.  (Read 601 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Catmore Berkshire Death and Burial.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
I suspect there was a mistake made when recording burial in parish register. Many were written up a lot later than the event.

I think this is probably right. 

The incumbent at Catmore from 1848 to 1853 was one Thos. Mitchell, and it is noted that he "held various curacies" (source: a framed list in the church).  The registers were possibly not regularly updated.

It doesn't explain the delay in registration, but it's interesting that there's a batch of belated registrations. 
That was a useful bonus from West Berks RO! 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Pero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catmore Berkshire Death and Burial.
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
These are the other Catmore burials in the Berkshire burial index shown for 1852 that should be 1851 as they were all registered 5 June 1852.

Amelia Brown age 6. Buried 18 July 1851.
Thomas William Barrett age 2. Buried 18 July 1851.
Edward Brown age 4. Buried 20 July 1851.
George Holland age 5 Buried 20 July 1851.
Mary Ann Barrett age 4 Buried  - August 1851.

All the above in the GRO show deaths June Q Wantage District 1852

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.