Author Topic: Henry BRADBEE, born c1835 Middlesex  (Read 811 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry BRADBEE, born c1835 Middlesex
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 March 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
Good Evening,

There is quite an amount of detail for me to review.........thank you.

Berwick Street is basically Soho, which is contingently north east of St. James's, so Henricus Thomas BRADBEE takes on a certain significance, especially with the Roman Catholic connection.The only slight drawback is that he was not committed until 02/05/1851 and presumably still "at home and eligible" for the 1851 enumeration but he is missing??   Unless of course he had been apprehended and was languishing in goal pending appearance before the Magistrates.

The Australian aspect is discussed via Google and I was attempting to access the PROV Inward Victorian Passenger listings to check, but PROV has been inaccessible today!!!   I had recognised the TROVE entries but missed the information (at least in 1900) that he was stationed in Bristol and had been known in Soho!!   Had he lived in Tottenham before Bristol??  My instinct is that this is not the correct Henry BRADBEE :'(

Nevertheless, I feel very tempted to accept that he was Henricus Thomas BRADBEE and religiously research that particular line 8)

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 March 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
The Reverend Henry Thomas Bradbee died in Bristol 19th May 1905. residence 1 Rodney Place, Clifton.

Which leads to one of the residents at

RG 12 / 2368 / 66 / 3

1 Rodney Place, Clifton, (evidently a small nursing home run by Nuns)

Henry Broadbeer, boarder, single, 64, [living] on own means, London
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Have found more about the 1851 conviction - it was for stealing a purse containing a £10 note and 5 shilllings from a lady in Paddington, apparently on 2nd May. He gave it straight back when she challenged him and he was handed over to an officer. he had 4 previous convictions and was sentenced to 7 yrs transportation

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 April 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Henry BRADBEE, a Roman Catholic born 1835 Middlesex, was discharged early on licence from Parkhurst Prison on 28/08/1855..........

The only slight drawback is that he was not committed until 02/05/1851 and presumably still "at home and eligible" for the 1851 enumeration but he is missing??   Unless of course he had been apprehended and was languishing in goal pending appearance before the Magistrates.

Looks like he was in Parkhurst in 1851.

HO 107 / 1662 / 43 / 34

Junior Prison, Parkhurst

H. B., prisoner, 16, tailor *, Middlesex, St Giles

* this is presumably his occupation while in prison: it the same occupation for all the inmates.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, JenB,

but, sadly, Henry BRADBEE was not admitted to Parkhurst Prison until 29/08/1851, designated No Occupation.  The "HB" enumeration could be either Henry BARLOW (London) or Henry BENHAM (Middlesex).

BAC3

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Henry BRADBEE was not admitted to Parkhurst Prison until 29/08/1851

I didn't know that. I was going by your earlier statement

he was not committed until 02/05/1851 and presumably still "at home and eligible" for the 1851 enumeration but he is missing??   Unless of course he had been apprehended and was languishing in goal pending appearance before the Magistrates

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
as you'll see from my post no 11 above the relevant offence was committed on 2 May 1851, so in all likelihood he was free on census night.