Author Topic: 'Raber, Caernarfon and Clynnog Fawr  (Read 2948 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Raber, Caernarfon and Clynnog Fawr
« on: Friday 31 March 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family in Clynnog Fawr and have got back to Owen Prichard who died there on 11 Apr 1850 aged 86 so therefore born c.1763/1764.  I know of three sons, Robert Owen 1792, John Owen 1794 and David Owen 1798.

In T Ceiri Griffith's book (2003 edition) on chart 26 there is an Owen Prichard of Ty'n llwyn, Clynnog son of Richard Jones, Caety, Llangybi.  (I had previously found this Owen being baptised at Clynnog on 29 Aug 1763  son of Richard & Alice Jones, Tyn y Llwyn). On the chart, one son of Owen Prichard is shown - David Owen, 'Raber, Caernarfon.

I would be most grateful if someone could tell me if 'Raber is a place.  I would like to be able to prove or disprove that my Owen Prichard is the one baptised in 1763.

Thank you for any help or suggestions anyone could offer.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Raber, Caernarfon and Clynnog Fawr
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am no expert on the Welsh language but wonder if 'Raber is a contraction of "Yr Aber" (the estuary). Could 'Raber refer to a part of Caernarfon adjacent to where the River Seiont meets the Menai Straits?

I looked at the Clynnog-fawr parish records on yffor.com but failed to find a burial record for Owen Prichard around the 1850 date you mentioned. Do you know where he is buried?

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
There is an explanation of Raber here - http://kimkat.org/amryw/1_vortaroy/geiriadur_cymraeg_saesneg_BAEDD_r_1026e.htm

Also, try http://discover.library.wales/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?vid=44WHELF_NLW_VU1

Select 'Digital' instead of 'Eveything' and search on Raber. It brings up four wills, including one in Clynnog.

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:59 BST (UK) »
There is a "Raber" as an address in the 1851 and 1861 censuses,occupied by Joneses,but it is in the Bodvean area.I can't find it on any old maps,but I can find surrounding named properties at postcode LL53 8YE.

Regards
Roger

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
I have discussed 'Raber on facebook with a cousin who is from Caernarfon. She is not aware of a place or area of that name. However, she agrees with me that it could be shortened version of yr aber although in speech there would be a space after the 'r. i.e. "'r aber". There are examples of expressions in Caernarfon. "drost'r aber" (across the estuary) would refer to Foryd Beach which is the other side of the river from the town. "Pont'r Aber" is the swing bridge across the river just below the castle. Not sure how much use it is in proving your link.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline cilgwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all your replies. I am most grateful for your help.

I haven't been able to find a burial for my Owen Prichard although I have his death certificate.  11th April 1850 at Penybont, Clynnog, aged 86, a labourer, died of old age not certified with the informant being William Jones of the same address. (William was his grandson, son of John Owen and was my gt gt grandfather). I think I have found Owen Prichard's wife Jane Robert buried at Capel Uchaf in Clynnog in April 1839. She is described as the wife of Owen Prichard of Ty'n Lon.

With regards to the Raber question, my Owen Prichard's son David Owen is shown in all the census returns up to 1881 as living at Aberdesach in Clynnog.  Does any one think 'Raber could be some sort of abbreviation for Aberdesach.  If so it could help me prove my connection to the family in T Ceiri Griffith's book.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
The will referred to by dcbnwh is listed as at "Raber ddausoch" which looks very much like an alternative form of the one you have posted.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 April 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
As there is an Afon Desach,it seems quite possible,in my limited knowledge,for Yr Aber Desach to be appropriate,and that sometimes be shortened to 'Raber Desach or as it is listed on maps- Aber Desach.

Regards
Roger

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 April 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Aber Desach is shown on this map, at the mouth of the Afon Desach - http://maps.nls.uk/view/101606625

David