Author Topic: Genealogical Curiosities  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical Curiosities
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather married his niece which was strictly non-U at the time & probably still is. And him a Baptist Minister - shocking !
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have a couple -

1. The attached image shows that the mother was deliberately given as the father on a marriage certificate (the child was illegitimate, even though the father was known and accepted both ways). Any other cases like this?

2. A niece was acting as housekeeper for her unmarried uncle, i.e. her father's brother. She fell pregnant, they married and went on to have 4 more children. The age gap was about 30 years. This was the mid 1800's.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of double cousin.
My biggest issue was with Fred Herweg. A German immigrant who married Elizabeth Bond an Aussie born girl from Norfolk folk. They had 13 children with 8 boys  and within a generation no male  children. The Herweg name was bred out of existence.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents were 1stcousins - I didn't realise it at first until I tried putting it on my family tree and realised that was the case!

One if my great uncles FiL married two sisters and then one of their cousins.he had children with all three women so it's quite confusing to work out their relationships!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
2. A niece was acting as housekeeper for her unmarried uncle, i.e. her father's brother. She fell pregnant, they married and went on to have 4 more children. The age gap was about 30 years. This was the mid 1800's.

Wouldn't this have fallen under the category of incest and therefore have been illegal?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
I am not fully aware of the laws of the time. The family obviously decided to deal with it the way they did. One never knows the reason for the relationship originally. The uncle was living some distance away from the family, so it was probably able to be kept quiet in the area the family were living. One could imagine the family felt there was nothing to be gained for trying to prosecute a close family member (laws depending) and having a pregnant daughter who may not find another husband.

Quote from: masgrace on Yesterday at 12:07

Posted by: Josephine
Wouldn't this have fallen under the category of incest and therefore have been illegal?