Author Topic: What else could mother's name be?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: What else could mother's name be?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 April 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
I think it looks like Mabey as well. The last letter is almost identical to the y in Rectory.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 April 17 03:21 BST (UK) »
My thoughts.... ???

I think it may even be Waben although the 'b' isn't as curly/looped as the 'b' in 'November'

I also think the assumed 'M' in the surname looks nothing like the 'M' in 'St Mary's'

I don't think the end 'n'/'y' is a 'y' as the tail is too short.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 April 17 05:19 BST (UK) »
Annie's idea of finding them in the censuses is a good one - have you already done this? So far I have only had a quick look at the 1910 census and there are a couple of possible candidates, including the James E that JM found. He is a Brakeman for a Railroad. He and and wife Mary have a son James who is aged 1 and 7/12ths in 1910. He has a possible middle initial which I cannot decipher.

What I would like to know is  - do you have the birth certificate of James Hardie jnr? Does this give his father's name and his mother's name including her maiden name?

Do you know the occupations of your James jnr and James snr? (To help anyone searching for them in the censuses)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 April 17 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

I think the snippet from the 1907 NJ marriage cert shows the groom as a Breakman.  This causes me to wonder if the person recording the information was a good speller, or at least wonder if spelling was of any significance at the time.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 April 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
I read the mother's surname as Maben also & can't see any reason why it can't be that even if you haven't yet found that surname in the area. However, working with the census idea-

1910 census James E. Hardie listed as age 32, born New Jersey-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RVH-9HDQ?mode=g&i=42&cc=1727033

1915 census James E. Hardie listed as born Dec.1876 New Jersey-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9Q-5BWV
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jennifermulewski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you all...that is the right James Hardie.  I am able to trace him forward from his 1907 marriage (marriage certificate, 1910 census, 1915 census, WWI registration, 1920 census and death certificate).  What I can't find is any record of him BEFORE his marriage (before 1907).  His death certificate and WWI registration both had December 1877 as a birthdate and being born in Jersey City.  His obituary said he resided in Jersey City his whole life.  I manually searched the December 1877 birth records at the NJ state archives and there was no record of him.  Theoretically there should be a birth certificate, 1880 and 1900 census record of him, but there isn't.  Additionally, there seems to be no record of a James H Hardie (his dad) anywhere EXCEPT James Jr.'s marriage and death certificates.  There is no record of a Mary Maben or Mabey living in Jersey City, NYC or the surrounding areas either.  It's like they dropped out of the sky to get married!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 April 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Could it be that James was maybe a wee bit economical with the truth when it came to his age when he married? Maybe he is older than 32 ? People did knock years off when it suited them , especially if he had a much younger bride.
This family jumped out at me on 1880 US Census 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN82-J48
- partly because they had a James Hardy born in New Jersey (granted approx. 5 years earlier than your man) , but also because his grandfather was a Henry - and your James Hardie has a son called Henry on 1915 New Jersey Census.
BTW - I think the maiden name of James's mother is Maben.

Looby :)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 April 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Left field here - could it be a version of Maher?
Just going on the location and the other Irish names. Is it a Catholic record?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
This family jumped out at me on 1880 US Census 
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN82-J48
- partly because they had a James Hardy born in New Jersey (granted approx. 5 years earlier than your man) , but also because his grandfather was a Henry - and your James Hardie has a son called Henry on 1915 New Jersey Census.
BTW - I think the maiden name of James's mother is Maben.

Possible marriage? John Hardy & Mary Dolan-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VKMD-RRB
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!