Author Topic: Driscoll/Sheridan/Gaffney confusion. Help needed.  (Read 2015 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Driscoll/Sheridan/Gaffney confusion. Help needed.
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
Brick Wall help needed...

I've got Mary Gertrude Sheridan born 1896 in Dublin. Parents are Thomas Sheridan and Mary O'Driscoll.

Thomas and Mary marry in May 1900, but by June 1900, Thomas is on the register of James Christopher Sheridan, mother Alice Gaffney. In 1901, Thomas Sheridan is living 'married' with Alice Sheridan, Gertrude Sheridan, James Christpher Sheridan, Mary Gaffney (Alice daughter). They are living with Patrick Sheridan (Thomas father).

In 1911, they are together without Patrick Sheridan, this time they have Anne Sheridan (about 7). Mary/Gertrude sheridan is no where and they save 3 children, 2 living. Step daughter Mary Gaffney is still there as is James Christopher. I can't find another child born to them.

Thomas Sheridan and Alice Gaffney don't actually marry until 1929! I've found Alice died in 1950, as a widow. But I can't find any matches to Thomas Dying.

However my interest is in Mary Gertude Sheridan and Mary O'Driscoll.

Alice Gaffney was a widow when she married Thomas. Her maiden name is Dunne. I can only find James Christopher and Anne as her kids to Thomas. So would that mean Mary Gertude had died?

And when did Mary Sheridan nee O'Driscoll die? Could they have waited for her to die before marrying in 1929? Or did she did sooner than that and they waited for Alices first husband to die? They married in 1883, Richard Gaffney and Alice Dunne.

It's very perculiar. Mary O'Driscoll was baptised may 1900, despite being born in 1868, (I think to be baptised into Catholic church) and married that same month, so how come Thomas is then 'fathering' a child a month later with another woman?
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll/Sheridan/Gaffney confusion. Help needed.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:55 BST (UK) »

I've got Mary Gertrude Sheridan born 1896 in Dublin. Parents are Thomas Sheridan and Mary O'Driscoll.

Thomas and Mary marry in May 1900, but by June 1900, Thomas is on the register of James Christopher Sheridan, mother Alice Gaffney. In 1901, Thomas Sheridan is living 'married' with Alice Sheridan, Gertrude Sheridan, James Christpher Sheridan, Mary Gaffney (Alice daughter). They are living with Patrick Sheridan (Thomas father).

In 1911, they are together without Patrick Sheridan, this time they have Anne Sheridan (about 7). Mary/Gertrude sheridan is no where and they save 3 children, 2 living. Step daughter Mary Gaffney is still there as is James Christopher. I can't find another child born to them.

Thomas Sheridan and Alice Gaffney don't actually marry until 1929! I've found Alice died in 1950, as a widow. But I can't find any matches to Thomas Dying.

Alice Gaffney was a widow when she married Thomas. Her maiden name is Dunne. I can only find James Christopher and Anne as her kids to Thomas. So would that mean Mary Gertude had died?

And when did Mary Sheridan nee O'Driscoll die? Could they have waited for her to die before marrying in 1929? Or did she did sooner than that and they waited for Alices first husband to die? They married in 1883, Richard Gaffney and Alice Dunne.

It's very perculiar. Mary O'Driscoll was baptised may 1900, despite being born in 1868, (I think to be baptised into Catholic church) and married that same month, so how come Thomas is then 'fathering' a child a month later with another woman?

Absolutely no sources for anything you are talking about!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:31 BST (UK) »

Absolutely no sources for anything you are talking about!!

My apologies, I was writing this quickly earlier.  I will get on with finding the links to the sources.
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Excuse me while I have a little cry... a reply of ten sources and links just closed by accident...

So finding it all again.

This is the baptism I believe for Mary Driscoll, the first name is missing, but the address is the same as the marriage and the name of the father matches also.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.mary%27s-pro-cath_mf_1895-1900_ba_0564

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
The church marriage record for Thomas Sheridan and Mary Driscoll, same month as the baptism I posted.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.mary%27s-pro-cath_mf_1862-1881_ma_0517

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
The baptism of James Christopher Sheridan... just a little over a month since he married Mary Driscoll. Here he is, with Alice Dunne/Gaffney.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.mary%27s-pro-cath_mf_1895-1900_ba_0573

The birth registration - Unknown Sheridan

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/01997/1768243.pdf

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile