Author Topic: Driscoll/Sheridan/Gaffney confusion. Help needed.  (Read 2016 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll/Sheridan/Gaffney confusion. Help needed.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Richard Gaffney (Alice first husband) is alive in 1898, there is a newspaper article that states she accused him of assaulting her (but they dont sound too convinced as she doesn't keep her story straight and is not 'sober') and he had three months hard labour as a result. 

I just lose Mary Sheridan after she marries Thomas in 1900, and then I can't find Mary Gertrude Sheridan after the 1901 census. 

I have also found two other children belonging to Alice Gaffney and Richard, Maraget and Patrick, but I think Patrick may have died.  Not sure of Margaret, she was born in 1885. The last child is born, as far as I can see, in 1893.  I found these entries on rootsireland. 

Name:    Patrick Gaffney    Date of Birth:    09-Sep-1893
         Date of Baptism:    11-Sep-1893
Address:    8 Hendrick Street    Parish/District:    ST.PAUL'S ARRAN QUAY
      Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Father:    Richard Gaffney    Mother:    Alice Dunne
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:    Margaret Kennedy
   Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:    Not Recorded Not Recorded
   Notes:

L

Name:    Mary Gafney    Date of Birth:    18-Oct-1890
         Date of Baptism:    20-Oct-1890
Address:    5 Haymarket    Parish/District:    ST.PAUL'S ARRAN QUAY
Father:    Richard Gafney    Mother:    Alice Dunn
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:    Louise Kelly
   Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:    Not Recorded Not Recorded
   Notes:

L
[WIFES SURNAME BEST GUESS, REG. IS DAMAGED]

Name:    Margaret Gaffeney    Date of Birth:    31-Oct-1885
         Date of Baptism:    02-Nov-1885
Address:    50 Queen Street    Parish/District:    ST.PAUL'S ARRAN QUAY
Father:    Richard Gaffeney    Mother:    Alicia Dunne
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:    Not Recorded Not Recorded
   Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:    Margaret Hickey
   Notes:

L

© 2017 Copyright Swords Heritage Centre (Dublin North)    

Another possible child of Alice Dunne, 2 years before she married.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02817/2033598.pdf
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 April 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thomas Sheridan died 1940 both he and Alice are buried in Glasnevin ,Alice's age is given as 85 however fiddling with the address box i figured out the address is 61 upr Dominick St.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1940/04726/4263537.pdf

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

be worth your while getting a read out of the grave might be other family members there too.

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 April 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
Well I already know that James Christopher Sheridan moved to England as did Anne Sheridan (via an ancestry tree, the owner of the tree doesn't appear to know about the first marriages for either Thomas or Alice so I've contacted them asking if they'd like more information).

I'm just so stumped.  I can't see why Mary O'Driscoll would not have her daughter with her, unless she had died.  Could she have ran away when Thomas  went off with Alice when she gave birth to James.  Was James actually his and it all came out after the marriage?!I know I will never know but gosh what a mixture of emotions.  I don't even know know for sure if she is my great great aunt and with the assumption that Mary Gertrude was her only child and she died young,I'll never really know. 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 April 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Possible workhouse admission for Mary Sheridan  and daughter Mary IN Dec 1896.  Ages for both fit (baby is 1 month).

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=ire%2fnai-wrkhs%2f007635516%2f00073&parentid=ire%2fnai-wrkhs%2f01133317

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
slight possibility for her death in 1896 informant Patrick Sheridan brother in law Gt Britain St wife of a collector ?
Dec 1896 so what date is on workhouse records
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05884/4668812.pdf

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 April 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
slight possibility for her death in 1896 informant Patrick Sheridan brother in law Gt Britain St wife of a collector ?
Dec 1896 so what date is on workhouse records
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05884/4668812.pdf

Dec 1896 for workhouse

but Mary marries Thomas in 1900 so is Alice until at least then.

I've found richard gaffney alive until at least 1910 in and out of the workhouse

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
A little update to this branch. 

I have found this travel document for Mary Gertrude Sheridan, travelling to Canada. 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1263/CANIMM1913PLIST_2000908331-00184?pid=2682183&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D1263%26h%3D2682183%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DwSz67%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=wSz67&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

It states her mother is Mrs Mary Sheridan, living in Dundalk.

There is a death in 1941, for Mary Sheridan, aged 73 - taking her birth to 1868 - in Co Louth, Dundalk. 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1941/04712/4258552.pdf

Gertrude is travelling to Canadians Womans Hostel, Toronto, in 1929. Why would she be going there?  Is there anyway to find out what happened to her after arriving in Canada? 

Still no sign of Mary Driscolls birth though. 

As stated previously her parents are listed as deceased by 1900, Timothy Driscoll and Margaret Johnston... The same names as my great grandads parents.  She was born around the same time period that my great grandad and his siblings were born, and in 1900 my great grandad had moved to Dublin - where she married and was baptised to cross over to Roman Catholic from Church of ireland.  But I can't find a birth of Mary Driscoll, in 1868, with these parents. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:01 BST (UK) »