Author Topic: Leonard family from Killeshandra, Co Cavan  (Read 5049 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard family from Killeshandra, Co Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
That's great! Is there anyway I can view this record? Is it possible to get these records also? Many thanks

The record I found was on Findmypast.ie (paid site)
The original page of the register is scanned and visible online
There were several records for the name Thomas LEONARD

There is an 1868 birth on April 25 1868 in Strabane LINK based on the names of their children I would have preferred to see different parent's names but the father's occupation is Dealer which could tie with Pedlar
If the census records located are Thomas, he was not consistent with his place of birth

Thomas COLLINS and Margaret "not known" were the names on the birth record of Mary COLLINS and tie in with two of the children's names
Remembering they had at least one child who died (from the 1911 census) I would keep Patrick and Mary in mind for the parents of Thomas

Now for some added information
Ellen COLLINS m James GILMORE in Beragh, Co. Tyrone on Oct 15 1898 LINK
Her father was Thomas from Arvagh; his Thomas from Enniskillen according to another site
This is probably where the name GILMORE came from on Margaret's birth record

Birth of Annie GILMORE Jan 27 1900 LINK
Father serving in South Africa; Private 1st Batt Royal Irish Fusiliers
Annie died on March 21 1902 in Killeshandra LINK
The informant was her mother Ellen GILMOR which implies she had not remarried at this time

so I think that this is Ellen on the 1901 census - LINK

Possible spouse
There is an army record for a James GILMORE of the Royal Irish Inniskillens
Father shown as Thomas; no wife or children listed; regiment# 2791
He died at Netley (Southampton) 31.01.00

Unfortunately I still cannot see a marriage for Ellen to Thomas LEONARD
when they should have logically married between March 1902 (death of Annie) and March 1903 (birth of Mary)
nor a birth record for Mary LEONARD 29.03.1903

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
That's interesting.  My Mum mentioned a family member said there was a James which we thought was Leonard.  and thought he was my Grandmothers father and the rest of the siblings were Thomas Leonards. My Mum thought they were brothers and James died and Ellen married his brother Thomas. When I asked my Mum about it a few weeks ago, she said she didn't think it was true. Maybe their was some confusion surrounding what actually happened. Would there be a marriage for Thomas and Ellen years later? Would my Grandmother be under the name Gilmore if her Mother Ellen hadn't remarried Thomas by  the time of her birth? We didn't know anything about young Annie. Thanks so much I am shocked completely and very interested😀

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Also my Mum mentioned she didn't know whether her Mum's true birthday was March or May. I don't know if this helps. Many thanks

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
I have had a look for births and marriages using GILMORE with no luck so far

As Margaret was baptised in Killeshandra and the family seem to have been consistently in this area around that period I would contact the church and ask do they have a baptism for Mary.  Then you would have a starting point with a fairly accurate date of birth (sometimes children were registered with different dates for different reasons)

I don't see anything to indicate that James GILMORE and Thomas LEONARD were related

There are some births later than 1911 to Thomas LEONARD and Ellen COLLINS
on www.irishgenealogy.ie are Joseph May 05 1911 & Ellen Oct 02 1913
There is an online family tree that state there was also Peter 1917; John 1920; Bridget 1922

In 1911 Ellen stated that she had had one child that died and this was probably Annie as I cannot see a LEONARD birth/death match.
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 April 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you! No they were not brothers. I don't think the family really knew much about the first marriage. They are Ellen and Thomas's children after 1911. They had a son who died also, I think his name was Joe, (Joseph) then they had another and named him Joe also. Can you tell me how I can find the family tree please? I really appreciate your help.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 April 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you! No they were not brothers. I don't think the family really knew much about the first marriage. They are Ellen and Thomas's children after 1911. They had a son who died also, I think his name was Joe, (Joseph) then they had another and named him Joe also. Can you tell me how I can find the family tree please? I really appreciate your help.

The tree I saw is on ancestry but has a few anomolies - I would recheck any information that you find there  ;)
Further generations:

Offline brendariani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 April 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if you coukd find a birth record for Bridget Theresa Leinard born 1922 to Ellen please?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 April 17 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if you coukd find a birth record for Bridget Theresa Leinard born 1922 to Ellen please?

See
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
In Hallmark's link you will see that the free site does not show births after 1916 (i.e. less than 100 years old)

On a paid site I had a search but it only gives the civil reference that would allow you order the certificate LINK
There is only one birth in Cavan of a Bridget LEONARD in 1922. 
The Reference is Cavan District, Quarter 2, Volume 3, Page 57

The mother's maiden name is not shown on these records and without seeing the record you cannot be sure that it is the correct person

There are many LEONARD births in Cavan between 1915 and 1925
Further generations: