Author Topic: Find My Past renewal e-mail  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find My Past renewal e-mail
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
I didn't get a renewal e-mail this year, just an e-mail thanking me for renewing and that the money had been taken.

I queried it with FindMyPast but they are insistent they always send out renewal e-mails and that the fault lies at my end. Having checked my inbox and spam I dispute that and anyway I have had other
e-mails from them with no problem.

Is it just me?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past renewal e-mail
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
My renewal email came through a couple of months ago with no problems.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
I had something similar last year with no notification, they attempted to take the subscription but the card was out of date. They then had the cheek to instruct me to up date my card and I e-mailed them saying it would have been nice to have some notification they were taking the money in the first place. After a few e-mails bouncing back and forth we agreed on a reduced subscription. Even though I was initially very annoyed I was quite pleased I got a reduction.  ;D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
I had a similar problem earlier on in the year.

I phoned and negotiated a reduced sub they gave me a code to put in when I renewed and they said they'd made a note of it and taken off the auto renew tick. A couple of days later I had an email telling me that my sub had been taken at the full price!!

When I phoned them up and told them what they'd done I was informed I'd get a refund and to just go ahead on the given day and renew with the code for reduced sub which I did.

They refunded the amount within 7 days.

I told them I wasn't impressed to firstly not being sent a reminder and then to receive a note saying it had been taken out. Just got an apology.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
I too didn't get a renewal reminder and only found out when FindMyPast send me an email to say they couldn't take the money as the card number had expired!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
Surely the easiest way is to make sure that the automatic renewal box is unticked? If it is ticked they could argue that you've given them permission to renew and they don't need to remind you. If it is unticked and they renew they are in the wrong.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Surely the easiest way is to make sure that the automatic renewal box is unticked? If it is ticked they could argue that you've given them permission to renew and they don't need to remind you. If it is unticked and they renew they are in the wrong.

That used to be easiest, but last year I had an automatic renewal despite I had checked, and the box WAS unticked.   :o
I have a secret suspicion there has been a take over by a company less scrupulous than before.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:17 BST (UK) »

That used to be easiest, but last year I had an automatic renewal despite I had checked, and the box WAS unticked.   :o
I have a secret suspicion there has been a take over by a company less scrupulous than before.....
[/quote]

That's what happened to me, which is why I asked when I got a quote for reduced sub I enquired about the auto renewal and was told they'd remove it - obviously that didn't happen.
You need to keep a check on these large web sites constantly it all seems to have changed over past few years.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your responses, it seems I'm not alone. So much for their "the fault lies at your end".

The e-mail usually arrives 2/3 weeks before the renewal date, giving plenty of time to decide whether to renew or not.

I will untick the box.