Author Topic: Find My Past renewal e-mail  (Read 4160 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past renewal e-mail
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sami. I feel they should be there, but mine is all blank too.

Can't explain why yours is blank but in the past I would have taken that to mean that the information is already deleted and FindMyPast does not have access to it.

Now I'm not so sure - gave it a try and entered my credit card information with an incorrect expiry date just to see what would happen. Much to my surprise it updated but does not show me what is actually on file. So now they have my slightly incorrect credit card information which should foil them from automatically renewing my subscription. But obviously they have changed the way they store information and how you access it.

Good thing I checked ;)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
My card details are blank as well, but I've got the renewal box ticked. I don't remember removal the details, so I guess FindMyPast did.

Now I suspect they still have your details, you just can't see them. Maybe they started doing that for security.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
My card details are blank as well, but I've got the renewal box ticked. I don't remember removal the details, so I guess FindMyPast did.

Now I suspect they still have your details, you just can't see them. Maybe they started doing that for security. sami   

;) For security..... that'll be right!!
So secure, we can't even remove our own details now!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 April 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
My card expires anyway in a couple of months, so they won't be able to renew it next January.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I simply make a note in​ my diary to check just before any renewal- even though I know that I've  unticked the renewal box.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 April 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
I didn't get the e-mail regarding renewal either and because our credit cards had been changed by the bank for security reasons (although they said there hadn't been a problem with the cards!), FindMyPast couldn't automatically renew.  I had ticked the box to stop automatic renewal but it had been re-ticked, so I unticked it again - so anyone else with this problem they are not the only ones.  Fortunately, I realised my subscription had run out the next day when I wanted to use FindMyPast, but to renew on line I didn't get my loyalty reduction, so I rang FindMyPast and explained that I hadn't received the renewal e-mail and wanted to renew but as a long standing customer I wanted the loyalty bonus.  The lady I spoke to said that I couldn't renew over the 'phone as they were not allowed to take credit card details  ::) but I could renew on line.  When I said that would mean I would have to pay the full price, she told me that if I did it straight away she would look out for my renewal and refund the difference between the full price and the loyalty price, so I did and she did although it did take a few days for the refund to reach my credit card account.  I did e-mail the lady and thank her as she had been so helpful and it was not her fault that renewal e-mails are not being sent out properly.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 April 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
I have just been into my account and the auto renewal has been ticked, so I've unticked it and confirmed 'update details' it then takes you to a page saying do you really want to do that and I've said 'yes'. I closed it all down and gone back in again and for the moment it's still unticked.

Now that it's been said that it comes on again I shall check each time I go into the site.

As I said before you have to watch these big companies they are not in for the benefit of our health just their bank balances!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:03 BST (UK) »

it then takes you to a page saying do you really want to do that and I've said 'yes'.

I've not had a problem with non-reenewal and think this is the crucial stage. If it hasn't come up then the process is unfinished.

I'd be interested if anyone could categorically say they've had a problem after seeing it.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 April 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
So guess what, I went into my account and tried to untick the automatic renewal box - which I had previously had unticked but which was again ticked for automatic renewal.  First of all I got a message saying the fields didn't match.  I assume that meant the password, so I typed them in again, once in the password box and once again in the confirm password box.  Still got the message saying fields didn't match, so I changed the password and typed that in twice.  Same message again, so I re-typed my e mail address, which seemed to work - not sure why because it was already correct, had to untick the automatic renewal box again, this took me to another page which said something on the lines that there'd been an error and someone would be notified. 

I've now received an e-mail from FindMyPast saying my account details have been updated, but guess what Continuous Membership is still showing YES, but not only that the password is still the original password, so nothing has changed.  I'll try again, but as far as I can see this is a hopeless cause and I will just have to make a note on my calendar to check automatic renewal nearer the date.