Author Topic: Name Change  (Read 1174 times)

Offline sarahv

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name Change
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Apologies but I have already started this thread in the common room and wasn't sure how to move it to this area! I will learn but sorry I couldn't work it out today!!

My GG Grandfather's service records show that he was in the defence corp in WW1 under the name of George Pender - this is despite us knowing him as George Kimber and having no idea of the name Pender. It mentions that he served 14 years in the Royal Artillery. We know that he was married and previous family died in India whilst he was in the army.  George died in 1938 in Battersea and was married to Frances Lovegrove - she is mentioned on the ww1 records so I know it's the right person as are his children.

I'm not sure where to go now as the name change has thrown me a bit. Any help would be appreciated. Sarah

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name Change
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Here is your other thread Sarah:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768614.0

(next time all you need to do is "report to moderator" and they will move it for you.  :) )

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it is relevant to the search, but do you know the name of his wife and other family who died in India?

Did George die as Kimber?

Is the only mention of him as Pender in his army records? How many examples do you have of him under that surname? (I am wondering if it is just a clerical error on his service record as Kimber and Pender are reasonably similar sounding names)  :-\

Have you traced George's parentage in case the Pender surname relates to previous generations? (his mother re-marrying for example and George taking his step father's surname? - just one possible scenario)

Offline sarahv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you and sadly no idea! My nan remembered a letter arriving about the upkeep of the graves...the family were living in london in the thirties and it was apparently ripped up!

If he served 14years in the Royal artillery would that be as kimber or pender?

Offline sarahv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've just double checked the army service records and he signed it George Pender. Its the only record I've found with this name.I am unable to locate him anywhere else so I don't have a birth cert or census records for him. I thought that as he was in the army for 14 years he was probably abroad and that's why he's missing from the census

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Family Search has this death - baby Joseph Pender in India with parents George and Madeline.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jum/

The burial record shows that George was a Gunner in R A. 21st Field Battery. - F M P India records

But there is a wonderful note that the baptism is entered in the record as Kimber  :)

George's daughter France's was France's Madeline
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarahv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
My goodness you have just solved a twenty year mystery! My Dad died at Christmas and he would have been thrilled to have known this...thank you!!!

Offline sarahv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Frances madeline was my great grandmother and I do remember seeing a marriage cert online for a george kimber and a madeline in bristol in about 1880...I've always dismissed it as not being ours!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
Bangalore
Baptism 6th January 1889 with birth December 21st 1888
Joseph George - parents George Alfred Kimber Gunner I 4th R A  ??? And Madeline
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk