Author Topic: Help with deciphering street names in Kilmore Moy/Ballina  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with deciphering street names in Kilmore Moy/Ballina
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with these places of residence on the marriage records for Kilmore Moy. From looking at the 1901 Census, could the first one be an abbreviation of Garden Street? The second one looks like Red Hill, but as this is the bride's place of residence, Redhill, Co. Mayo seems to far away to be it. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering street names in Kilmore Moy/Ballina
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with these places of residence on the marriage records for Kilmore Moy. From looking at the 1901 Census, could the first one be an abbreviation of Garden Street? The second one looks like Red Hill, but as this is the bride's place of residence, Redhill, Co. Mayo seems to far away to be it. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Kilmoremoy, Co Mayo is (according to the AA) 36 miles from Redhill, Co Mayo.  Is that too far?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering street names in Kilmore Moy/Ballina
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if there might be a Redhill/Red Hill closer to or in Ballina as I think Redhill, Co. Mayo is part of the parish of Straide/Templemore and not Kilmore Moy? I understand that in most cases the marriage took place in the bride's parish, hence the idea that the distance was too great.