Author Topic: Wicksteads of Whitchurch  (Read 850 times)

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wicksteads of Whitchurch
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out whether John Wickstead, son of William Wickstead of Wrenbury Frith, Cheshire (born after 1652, but before 1661) moved to Whitchurch.
A 1668 list of Shrewsbury apprentices includes John, son of the late William Wickstead of Wrenbury, apprenticed to Richard Wickstead, apothecary, of Shrewsbury.
A John Wickstead, apothecary, practised at Whitchurch. But I have no concrete evidence this is my man, he could have been a namesake. He married Sarah Podmore there in 1677 and had issue, amongst them his eldest son who he named William.
The 1690 Litchfield will of John Wickstead of Whitchurch, apothecary, had an inventory attached taken by Mr Richard Wickstead and Mr John Wickstead, both apothecaries, but gives no indication of the relationship, if any, between them. His will mentions interests in a tenement in Chorley, Cheshire - and there is also a reference to indentures here on discovery.

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wicksteads of Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that Richard Wickstead of Mickley appears on the pedigree of the Nantwich Wicksteads. He was described as "my loving kinsman" by my William Wickstead (III) in his will. What is more the pedigree in the History of Nantwich records that Richard Wickstead of Mickley died at Shrewsbury, which seems to strengthen the possibilities of connections between thhe Chesire and Shropshire Wicksteads.