Author Topic: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death 1906 please  (Read 2230 times)

Offline graeme4242

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Evening Chronicle Death 1906 please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 April 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, yes thats the right one :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 April 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
The Evening Chronicle notice is unlikely to include much more than the funeral arrangements.
What other information were you hoping to find?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline graeme4242

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 April 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, after very recent conversations with my father and his cousin (who is a long term FH researcher) none of us had known Janet as Jennie and has made us think a little differently about researching not just her but other family members where the birth name has been, as I think Carole said, morphed into a 'pet' name. Janet G Heslop was born in Scotland and lived as you say in Consett but although her descendants including myself have carried out quite a fair amount of research into her and family, this is first time any of us have heard her referred to as Jennie. Indeed it actually explains a descendants' naming as Jennie now. I suppose Im hoping for any anecdotal information that we've so far missed. I have visited her grave and seen aa death announcement  in The Southern Reporter (Scottish Borders) so i have now learned to expect little surprises along the way!

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 April 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Looks like she may have died in or just after childbirth - Thomas Duncan Menzies Heslop registered Lanchester 1st quarter 1906 MMN Menzies

EDIT Birth 13 January 1906
GEDmatch M157477

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi graeme4242,

I have found the death notice for you in the Evening Chronicle dated Tuesday January 23 1906:

'HESLOP.- Consett, 9 Stratford Terrace. 21st instant, aged 35, Jennie, wife of Robert G. Heslop.  Interment at Benfieldside Cemetery on Wednesday; cortege to leave at 2.15 pm.  Friends please accept this the only intimation.'

I have spoken to a staff member at the Newcastle City library (Local Studies Department 6th floor) and if you write to them for a copy of this notice they would charge you £30 :o :o to obtain this and send you a copy.  However, if at some point you were to call in at the library yourself and ask for a photocopy they would charge you 20p :)

Sorry there was no anecdotal information which you were hoping for but now at least you know.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline graeme4242

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass and thank you very much for doing this for me, most grateful. Newcastle's a much longer journey for me now than when i was younger living in the area however it sounds like the Library is still worth a visit when I'm down to see my folks? Many thanks and regards ;)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
it sounds like the Library is still worth a visit when I'm down to see my folks?

The Local Studies Department of the City Library is excellent and well worth a visit.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk