Author Topic: Dead House, Liverpool  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dead House, Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Have a read of the advice in the extract on this link it will probably help to explain the link between the term Dead House and pubs as they were often temporary places for the bodies of people found senseless:-

https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15687

Blue

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
In the 19th Century, public houses were preferred as Coroner's courts because of their size and other facilities. In the 1840s the county of Warwick magistrates set these fees; To the Keeper of any Inn or other public-house for the use of a room for a dead body until the Inquest is held 20s 0d; To the Keeper of any Inn or other public-house for the use of a room for holding an inquest 5s 0d.  The 1902 Licensing Act forbade pub inquests if any reasonable alternative existed.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Stan and Blue -- thank you both SO very much for the links you have provided. They are so very interesting.

My goodness - Liverpool seems to have been a really dangerous place to live, especially on a Saturday night!
I just love the advice on how to deal with a dead body or drowned person. I wonder if it ever worked?

Can you imagine being in a pub when suddenly a dead or senseless body was brought in? That would put you off your pint.

St Nicholas Church figures largely in the research I have been doing - and a lady buried in the same grave as the 'Man Unknown' from the 'Dead House' had all her children baptised there.

Regarding Coroner's Inquests and the like being held in pubs -- I have read about that before but never thought about fees being paid (to the Inn Keeper I assume). Presumably paid by the Parish.

Thank you both -- for the fantastic information.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Have a read of the advice in the extract on this link it will probably help to explain the link between the term Dead House and pubs as they were often temporary places for the bodies of people found senseless:-
https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15687
Blue

The Directions are from The Merchant, Ship-Owner, and Ship-Master's Import and Export Guide, 1831, there are extra 'General Remarks' added at the bottom.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01juw/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk