Author Topic: Mossman Handyside Sterling and relationship to Duncan Family  (Read 1270 times)

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
Mossman Handyside Sterling and relationship to Duncan Family
« on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello All: I am trying to see what kind of relationship ( if any) a woman called Mossman Handyside Sterling has to my Duncan family.  Mossman was born 1850 to David Sterling and Margaret West. She was a witness to the marriage of James Duncan to Christina Smith( my 2nd great grandparents)  and James' sister Margaret to Joseph Kelly.  I did some checking and there is one entry of an Elizabeth Handyside to James Duncan (1744). Mossman is such a strange name for a girl in those times and as a  witness to siblings marriage I thought there must be some kind of relationship.  If anyone knows of Mossman please let me know.   

Thanks

Donna 
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Mossman Handyside Sterling and relationship to Duncan Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna ,

Not sure about a connection but there was a Mosman Handyside b. 1788 Midlothian , who may have married a John West in 1807 Midlothian.
I think this lady is living in Lanarkshire on the 1841 Census.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQC4-MX2

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYM6-59X

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Htimsbp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
I have just started doing my tree. Within an old family bible old parched paper with a tree in beautiful writing- I have found “Mossman Handyside” (I just googled and came up with this entry of yours). According to this old document Mossman was born 9th August 1788 in Edinburgh , married John West 19th June 1807, died in Glasgow 27th October 1849. They had several children including Margaret,born 2nd September 1820 and died in nov 1896. As well as brothers Ross, John, Charles and Thomas they had a daughter Mary.
Mary married John Bennett. Mary and John are my Great, great grandparents. So mossman my.....great great great grandmother!

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All: It is strange how some people are related. In some of the census I find a person marked as a boarder or errand boy but it turns out they are cousins or nephews or something.  It drives me crazy because I want to know how folk are connected.  So I go around looking for relationships in the background.  I had a James Greenaway from Ireland living with my great grandparents - my great grandfather's mother has Greenaway as her MS, and they were from the same little town in Ireland . James was listed as a boarder but I know there is more to it than that.
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson