Author Topic: Donald Foster Stevenson - Was he a British Home Child??  (Read 589 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Foster Stevenson - Was he a British Home Child??
« on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hoping someone can help with my query. This relative sailed to Quebec on the Empress of Ireland on 8th August 1913 aged 13 years old.  Family stories say he was sent to Canada for his health but the family were quite poor and don't think they would have paid for his fare. The family lived in Birmingham, England.  I have checked the various databases and I can't find him. He signed up for WW1 in 1915 when he was underage. He was living in British Columbia at that time and his occupation was a Rancher so i presume he was farming. On the 1921 census he is still in BC and is a blacksmith's helper. He ends up going to the US a few years later and spends the rest of his life there.
Is there any way I can prove whether he was a British Home child? Any help would be great as i am based in the UK.
Many thanks
KK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Foster Stevenson - Was he a British Home Child??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
1921 census Anaconda Eholt Denora British Columbia

Morley Wesley Laddaw   50 Janet Come Laddaw   47
Jennie Lute 63 John Henry Williams 31
Donald Foster Stevenson 21 Born Eng. Father Scotland. Mother England. Blacksmith Helper. Imm 1913
Neil James McLeod 65 Victor Benett 47 George W Stone   21
Herbert Wood     John Joseph Cann 52 Christ Cramer   39

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Could this be him in Oregon - FIND A GRAVE

Burial: Willamette National Cemetery  Portland Multnomah County Oregon.
Plot: Section T Site 3505

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=36371452&ref=acom

Oregon death index - Donald F Stevenson Age:   64
Birth Date:   abt 1900 - passed away 14 Mar 1964   Multnomah
Spouse:   Audrey - Certificate:   4058

wife Audrey - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=stevenson&GSiman=1&GScid=39562&GRid=3936400&

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Yes this is my Donald. He entered the US in Aug 1922 and eventually settled in Oregon. He joined the US army and served a number of years as well.
I have just realised i have posted this query on the resources board. Maybe someone can move it if necessary.
Many thanks
KK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 17 17:57 BST (UK) »

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have seen them. I am waiting for his personnel records to be digitised but think it will be well into next year before that happens.
KK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
You could add Donald Foster Stevenson to the special interests group which RootsChat have created for British Home Chidren.

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php?dbsig_num=1

Sandra

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
From looking at the outgoing UK passenger list, Donald was part of a group of 7 people. Six of the passengers had consecutive ticket numbers (229183 - 229189 with 229186 missing). Because of the condition of the Canadian passenger list I was only able to find one member of the group by name and his entry indicated he was brought over by the Salvation Army. I scrolled through the passenger list and did find other members of the same party listed who were also brought over by the Salvation Army. The ages of the people of the group would indicate they were not home children as they ranged from 13 to 35 with Donald being the only one who was a minor.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie
Thanks for your reply. I had looked at the outgoing passenger lists but hadn't realised he was part of a group. As you say the Canadian passenger lists aren't in a great condition and i am afraid i gave up looking at them. It is interesting that it appears he was bought over by the Salvation Army. That solves that puzzle.
Many thanks
KK