Author Topic: Heron Family of Pollok House Glasgow  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Joe Murray

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Heron Family of Pollok House Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 December 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
In reply to your post. Little bit of confusion here, none of pictures hanging in Pollok House have first names on them. The photo referred to is one with Mr (James) Heron Snr, head gardener and Mr (William) Cox head forester. The photo is from 1905. The bigger photograph next to it of all the servants and families at the Christmas dance is also 1905.
James Heron Snr was born in 1844 in Blairgowerie. He is the father of Beatrice Bushnell née Heron. Beatrice had and older sister named Janet, and two older brothers James and John. William Heron is James' eldest son from a second marriage and is much younger than his four older half-siblings. He died in military service while in Egypt a few months after WWI. His brother Thomas died in military service a week before the war ended.
If anyone knows anything of James' eldest son, James Heron Jnr, also a gardener, I would be grateful for the information. I am conducting an oral history here and have just finished speaking to Robin Heron who believes James Heron Jnr is his great grandfather. I'd like to help him make the link.
Pollok House is now owned by the City of Glasgow and managed by The National Trust for Scotland. My name is Joe and I am the learning officer at Pollok House and can be contacted there.

And yes, "Escape the Past" is indeed a fun escape game! :-)

Offline Vegan64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heron Family of Pollok House Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I will let you know if I find anything.James jnr was my great grandads (Robert George Heron) brother.