Author Topic: Sharkey/Mount Families  (Read 942 times)

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sharkey/Mount Families
« on: Sunday 02 April 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
from Derry i am researching. And i'm struggling with the Sharkeys. The 1901 census shows me Francis Sharkey (47yo) and Eliza Sharkey (42yo) with their son Patrick Sharkey (27yo) living in St.Columbs Wells.
Questions.......
[1] Would that be right that Eliza had a son when she was aged 15 ?
[2] Under what circumstances would they share a house (or room of a house) with two other families ? Related, friends or just straight foreward answer an advert for a room ?
[3] Francis Sharkey states he is Presbyterian... is that a thing ?
[4] i know from old newspaper that " Elizz Sharkey", wife of "Frank Sharkey" was given a weeks jail for larceny, but i could not find anything on findmypasts prison register. Should i, or could i contact a record office for more details if i know approximate date of jail ?

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Sharkey/Mount Families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Presbyterian was and is a recognised church 'type'. That said, if the same Francis, he has aged more than 10years and is listed as Catholic in the 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/St__Columb_s_Wells/603996/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
If he is also the same Francis Sharkey who died in the Waterside Infirmary in 1912, his age had changed downwards again to 65.

Both the Francis of 1911 Cenus and the one of the 1912 death, had the occupation Bill Poster.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
A Francis Sharkey looks to have married a Lizzie Hughes in Londonderry in 1875. A Francis Sharkey and an Elizabeth Hughes had a daughter, Rose Catherine Sharkey in 1876 http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jus/ . This Rose sadly also died in 1876.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
When Patrick Sharkey married Sarah Mount in 1905, his age was listed as 'Full'. Unfortunately, this only confirms he was 21yrs or over.

Whilst it is not impossible that Eliza had Patrick at 15yrs, I am not seeing any obvious birth at the moment.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
The date of the Francis Sharkey - Lizzie Hughes marriage was 4 January 1875, it took place in the Long Tower.  Bachelor Francis was a dealer from Majors Row in Derry, spinster Lizzie was from Nailors Row.  The two fathers were Philip Sharkey (dealer) and John Hughes (dealer).  I don't see anything recorded against age for the bride or groom.

Two months later on 8 March 1875, a Francis Sharkey and Elizabeth Hughes had a son Patrick baptised in St. Eugene's.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Just a possibility (but doesn't 'fit' with Presbyterian), a Francis Sharkey was baptised in the Long Tower on 28 November 1848, parents given as Philip Sharkey and Sally Anne Lynch (right page, 7th entry down from top):
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633057#page/45/mode/1up

Other children baptised for this couple included Patrick in 1852, Patrick in 1854, Catherine in 1856, and Philip in 1862. In what looks like son Philip's marriage registration in 1888, father Philip senior was described as a dealer:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10766/5926486.pdf

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all for your help. I'm glad of a fresh pair of eyes looking at it. My best guess was the Sharkey/Hughes marriage. Patricks death in Scotland in 1927 has his age as 53(YO) so that shifts his birth year foreward a year or so . That seems to "fit" , however on his death cert his mother is listed as Elizabeth.....and what to me looks like "Crummlish" . So that threw me into more confusion.

I'm pretty sure the Francis Sharkey who is the Bill Poster is a different man. In the Derry Press they both get a few mentions around the 1890's.... the bill poster has adverts in the paper and is involved in a court case or two regarding posting bills. And the other a "dealer" gets a mention for finding a rare coin, and also his wife "Elizz" getting a weeks jail. Thats why i was hoping i might be able to get records of Elizz ?

Offline Mike Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 April 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again, i've been searching for deaths of Eliza(beth) Sharkey. To no avail so far. The Derry Journal 8th October, 1906 has an entry in "Deaths" it says......
  Sharkey -October 6, at 214 , Lecky Road , Derry, Elizabeth Sharkey -RIP. Her remains will be moved for interment in the Long Tower Burying ground to day (Monday), 8th instant , at half past two o'clock. Friends will please accept this the only intimation.

Why can i not find this death record anywhere ?