Author Topic: possible translation  (Read 803 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
possible translation
« on: Sunday 02 April 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
The gaelic word DEIRBH is there an english translation thank you

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
Re: possible translation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
I believe a lot of gaelic words can mean different things depending on the context it's written.

Do you have a sentence with 'Deirbh' in it?

There are only 18 letters in the gaelic alphabet.

'bh' or 'mh' would both be the equivalent of a 'v'.

However, a quick search online gives the meaning as 'churn'.

Would this fit with what you have?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I believe a lot of gaelic words can mean different things depending on the context it's written.

Do you have a sentence with 'Deirbh' in it?

There are only 18 letters in the gaelic alphabet.

'bh' or 'mh' would both be the equivalent of a 'v'.

However, a quick search online gives the meaning as 'churn'.

Would this fit with what you have?

Annie
tks Annie - my maternal ancestors were surname Murphy and as there were several families in the same parish by this name my Murphys were known as the Murphy Deirbh so I have no explanation for this word - They were farmers so maybe the "churn" would fit :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
From what you say it may relate to the occupation?

It may even have related to an area which is possible?

Do you know where they lived?

I will see if I can find out any more but may take a while, not tonight is what I mean.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
From someone born & bred gaelic spoken....

"Depends on context - could mean 'certain', or if it's a noun it would mean 'churn', as in a container for making butter"

I mentioned I had found the word 'certain' but the spelling was different & the reply was.....

"Some words change spelling due to grammar rules! I reckon in this case it's probably a churn, but without any more context it's tricky"

I mentioned the family were Farmers & the reply was that it probably related to that.

Hope that's helped?

Annie

Added, Are you certain of the spelling as another has mentioned possibly a place name (in the context of the use)?

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
This may be of some interest to you .. includes Murphy (deirbh)

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/john-ohart/irish-pedigrees-or-the-origin-and-stem-of-the-irish-nation-volume-1-rah-554/page-82-irish-pedigrees-or-the-origin-and-stem-of-the-irish-nation-volume-1-rah-554.shtml
Thank you makes very interesting reading. My Murphy dearbh were residents of Kilmichael co cork through generations & my 3xgreat grandfather John Murphy was the only survivor of the Deshure Ambush in 1822 - his brother Denis was hung.