Author Topic: The ‘Queen’s Bounty.’  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The ‘Queen’s Bounty.’
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 May 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rena…

Don’t quite understand the ‘Irish Connection’ with the regiment being Scottish. (despite having a lot of English…, and probably Irish Protestants)
Note:   The Scots Guards were formed in 1642 specifically to calm the problems between the Scottish settlers and the south.   Lol…, and the same Regiment plus the whole of the British Army are still hard at it !

As for the British Library, I’ll try and sign up as a paying member.

With the Aldershot Chaplaincy now in my sights, I’ll wait a few days to see how they react.   If they don’t have the archive, they should be able to point me in the right direction.

Have a nice weekend.   Kind Regards…, Iain.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The ‘Queen’s Bounty.’
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 May 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rena…

Don’t quite understand the ‘Irish Connection’ with the regiment being Scottish. (despite having a lot of English…, and probably Irish Protestants)
Note:   The Scots Guards were formed in 1642 specifically to calm the problems between the Scottish settlers and the south.   Lol…, and the same Regiment plus the whole of the British Army are still hard at it !

As for the British Library, I’ll try and sign up as a paying member.

With the Aldershot Chaplaincy now in my sights, I’ll wait a few days to see how they react.   If they don’t have the archive, they should be able to point me in the right direction.

Have a nice weekend.   Kind Regards…, Iain.

Of course, I don't know the history of the Scots Guards,e.g.  whether they were amalgamated at various times, etc.  The thought came to me because during research of my M'kenzie family all born in the highlands of Scotland I noted many male M'kenzies in the Scottish Lanarkshire 1841 and 1861 census had been born in Ireland (none related to me).   Of course, their male ancestors could have settled in Ireland many decades before but on the other hand they could also have been sons of the 1790s conscripted soldiers and born when their fathers were posted to Ireland.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke