Author Topic: The ‘Queen’s Bounty.’  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The ‘Queen’s Bounty.’
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rena..., that seems like a good website.   I'll research it today.
I did try the National Archives but just couldn't get my head around it.   Your website looks easier.

Thank you again.
Kind Regards..., Iain.  :)
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
I've been wondering about other avenues to research, as under:-

Anyone who is a member of H.M. Forces has to obtain permission to marry and presumably all relevant details would be entered into army records. This would at the very least provide dates.

I wondered if the army chaplain of the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards would have made notes.  Here's a link which gives a general overview:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Army_Chaplains%27_Department
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 May 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
This might be completely "off the wall" but, it seems to me the London Gazette printed detailed lists under many obscure headings...... I wonder if a search of their archives might yield something useful?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 May 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena…, great minds think alike !   Lol…

When I wrote to RHQ, I was told that all his archives are absent for digitalization, but he mentioned that by contacting the Guards Chapel, they may be able to help as their religious records are independent of the ones at Wellington Barracks.
http://www.householddivision.org.uk/guards-chapel-contacts
I wrote to Miss Edwards and got no reply.

My Associate was in London a few months back and spoke with Padre Paul Wright…, he’s the Queen’s Chaplin and lives at St James’s.   I’m in contact with him for professional reasons but I don’t have the courage to change the subject.   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wright_(Sub-Dean_of_the_Chapel_Royal)
But you’ve given me a great idea !
My 2nd Battalion was reduced to Company strength some years ago and is now F Company at Wellington Barracks doing Public Duties. (they, the 2nd Bn who were at Waterloo are in red tunics and bearskins in the video below)
They were on the news yesterday as the Queen presented them with new Colours and I’m just about certain I saw their Chaplain.
I’ll contact him !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHmq55De7A0 (lol…, I used to be in the Pipe Band !)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o7dyzzs5ih8niq4/AAC6g4k932bIoFowIJ1RLTwFa

Something that’s also worrying is the fact that I can’t find George Osbourne’s name on the Scots Guards Company Returns. (‘3rd Regiment of Foot Guards’)   
This is a 4-page document and was used principally for salaries (also indicating deaths) and all the men I’m using in my screenplay are present…, except Sgt Fraser and Osbourne.
Ralph Fraser originated from Headquarters Company that morning and descended from the ridge to the Hougoumont farm to help out.    He was the one who downed Colonel Cubières and helped close the farm gates. (images)   He later became a Beadsman at Westminster.
So Osbourne could have also originated from HQ Coy with Fraser. (providing another line of inquiry)

Mowsehowse…, an excellent idea !  I hadn’t thought about that and as I’m a paid-up member, I’ll certainly give it a try.  If I find anything I’ll keep you updated.

Many thanks to both of you.

Kind Regards…, Iain.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 May 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
This might be completely "off the wall" but, it seems to me the London Gazette printed detailed lists under many obscure headings...... I wonder if a search of their archives might yield something useful?

I often wonder if I'm not wasting my money with the British Newspaper Archives...   The London Gazette is not even mentioned.

..., Iain.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 May 17 19:39 BST (UK) »

I often wonder if I'm not wasting my money with the British Newspaper Archives...   The London Gazette is not even mentioned.

..., Iain.

I don't pay subcriptions for either of those faciities. 

My local library provides free access to 19th century publications, which I often refer to on my home computer.

Searching through the Gazette and viewing any page is free and I see there are thousands of results for 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards, for example.

Another of some fruitful freebie searches is the Open Library Book site, although I must say I preferred the old layout:-
https://archive.org/details/texts
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 May 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
You said:-  " nor can I research the Belgian BDM archives just in case she was born in the region."

I'm confused by that statement, as it would be a simple matter of hiring a film in the Morman church Belgian family history facilities and you yourself taking a photocopy of the page the soldier's name appeared on.  Thus only you will know the subject you're researching. 

Under Napoleon's rule, church records are far better than Scottish and English records. Thus from a marriage entry there should be details of bride/groom, their birthdates and places of birth, plus the full names of their mothers & fathers and abodes, plus witnesses and their occupations.

Unfortunately I don't know if there would be a charge for viewing the film.  Normally in GB,  local films are free to view but there's a small charge for photocopying an image (no charge if you use your own pen to write down the details lol) plus a charge for obtaining films they have to send for.

Here's familysearchorg map which shows where their FHS centres are - just enter "Belgium"
https://familysearch.org/locations/

... and here's a link to the films regarding what's available under the keyword "Enghien".  It looks like there's a parish register and a civil register for the time frame.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bkeywords%3AEnghien

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 May 17 06:37 BST (UK) »
Lol…, thank goodness we’re not neighbours Rena !
Extremely interesting and thank you for all the advice.

As I mentioned earlier, I had some of the best genealogists in Belgium do a research of the Enghein region without any success…, this was why they suggested that I should connect with a military source.
In the meantime, I left a message with the Aldershot Chaplaincy Team on Facebook yesterday. (The Scots Guards are stationed there)  With a message asking for information about marriages.   
Lol…, I forgot to add the date 1815.   They’ll probably come to the conclusion that I want to get married again.
https://www.facebook.com/Aldershot-Garrison-Chaplaincy-Team-1721537114800686/

I’ll certainly contact the Mormon Church office…, I believe they have one in Namur; not far from here.  Very good idea…, even if it costs money.

Rena…, concerning your local library.   This is important !  Do you have to live in the region to have access ?
Or is the URL available on a global basis ?

Kind Regards…, Iain.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 May 17 12:58 BST (UK) »

Rena…, concerning your local library.   This is important !  Do you have to live in the region to have access ?
Or is the URL available on a global basis ?

Kind Regards…, Iain.

I've surfed, without success, to see if libraries in other EU member countries can offer free online access to the British Library.
The free online British Library access is only available to residents in the UK whose main County Library pays for an annual subscription.  As we're going through a period of austerity you may find that your family in the UK may or may not have free online access depending on the circumstances in that area.

I know you have a belief that he married in Belgium but that could have been a confirmation blessing in one of the two different denomination churches.  If your Guardsman was posted to Ireland at any time, then there is a possibility that he married a local girl.   Searching for "Osbourne" brought up an encouraging list of results, unfortunately my computer is running very slowly this morning so couldn't follow up.
 https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
http://www.rootsireland.ie/