Author Topic: 1901 census help  (Read 844 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census help
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
It say's sudden cardiac failure occupation unknown about 60yrs old so probably died in the street as the informant appears to be this man
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Patrick_Street__Guinness_Trust_Buildings__Blocks_A__B__C__D_/68223/

edited to add

On way to Mercers Hospital from Bride Road
Ah... a police constable. 

It's a funny thing this genealogy isnt it... I still can't figure out this story. 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
The 1883 marriage of Alice DUNNE shows her spouse as James GAFFNEY LINK

Although the civil records shows his name as Richard GAFNEY LINK
he signed his name as James

Have you searched for under James?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
myluck he was illiterate the priest signed his name he also recorded him in the church register as James
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633729#page/21/mode/1up

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
I've tried briefly for James but the workhouse records are for Richard.  This little group of people have got me stumped. 
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
dathai

It is true literacy may play a part but also strange though that the Priest would write James at all and would be a line to consider

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_City/Jervis_Street/1332860/
Alice Sheridan and Thomas Sheridan

In 1901 there is a child Mary GAFFNEY described as a step-child and aged 9
Her birth and baptism are in 1890 LINK #319
there is a brother Patrick GAFFNEY LINK #266
he died aged 4 in 1899 LINK
He is buried in Glasnevin

Noting Mary's birth is before the marriage found in July 1893 and Alice would have been pregnant in July 1893 as Patrick was born in Sept. - could there be two couples with the same names in the area?

edited to add
Richard, Alice, Mary and Patrick GAFFNEY were in the North Union Workhouse in Oct & Nov/Dec 1897
This child cannot logicaly be Alice's

To establish a timeline, I looked for a birth for Gertrude SHERIDAN but could not immediately see one
Presuming that she was the daughter of Thomas SHERIDAN and Alice nee DUNNE formerly GAFFNEY
this was the best match LINK #43

Birth of James Christopher SHERIDAN (as unknown) on Jun 07 1900 LINK #228

Also LINK to other connected topic

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 April 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
dathai

It is true literacy may play a part but also strange though that the Priest would write James at all and would be a line to consider

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_City/Jervis_Street/1332860/
Alice Sheridan and Thomas Sheridan

In 1901 there is a child Mary GAFFNEY described as a step-child and aged 9
Her birth and baptism are in 1890 LINK #319
there is a brother Patrick GAFFNEY LINK #266
he died aged 4 in 1899 LINK
He is buried in Glasnevin

Noting Mary's birth is before the marriage found in July 1893 and Alice would have been pregnant in July 1893 as Patrick was born in Sept. - could there be two couples with the same names in the area?

To establish a timeline, I looked for a birth for Gertrude SHERIDAN but could not immediately see one
Presuming that she was the daughter of Thomas SHERIDAN and Alice nee DUNNE formerly GAFFNEY
this was the best match LINK #43
Birth of James Christopher SHERIDAN (as unknown) on Jun 07 1900 LINK #228

presumably the separation between Richard GAFFNEY

Gertrude sheridan was born as Mary Gertrude sheridan in 1896, but her mother is mary of driscoll. 

Mary odriscoll married Thomas Sheridan may 1900, but June 1900 he is registered as the father of James Christopher Sheridan,mother Alice Dunne. 

Mary is a possible great great aunt of mine,but I can't figure out whether she died after having marrying Thomas,I can't find her on the 1901census as sheridan or o'driscoll. 

I was hoping I could find the outcome of Richard to establish whether Thomas and Alice waited until either other partner died before finally marrying in 1929

There is a death of a Mary Sheridan who's age fits in either 1928 or 1929 (can't remember) and it's stated under married -not stated so it's possible that is her but she is missing on the  census.

In 1911, Gertrude has disappeared and I'm struggling to find marriage or death for her. 

I'm just intrigued by this little mixed family,it's like an episode of eastenders.