Author Topic: Problem message: "Server Not Found"  (Read 1299 times)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problem message: "Server Not Found"
« on: Monday 03 April 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
I keep getting the message "Server Not Found" followed by a flashing orange light on my hub.   I am using Firefox server, and don't understand what has happened here.     I tried some googles to try to find out what to do, and I have been following some instructions which looked promising...

Here is what I tried: I went to "Network Connections" as instructed.    This page shows that I have no Wireless Connection but, as instructed, I clicked "Local Area Connection"  then I clicked "Properties".      I then clicked "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPx4)" then Properties.

But the page that comes up asks me to specify my DNS Server and I don't know what it is, so I can't type anything in.    If I could fill in this page properly, perhaps this would be the solution I am looking for.       I am struggling with this.        Just don't know what to do on this particular page.

P.S.   I am using Windows 10.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Problem message: "Server Not Found"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sure someone will be along with a technical reply soon,but if I have problems like that I turn my router off,wait a few minutes and turn it back on. It seems to give it a kick up the bum  :o

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you post the make and model of your hub.

Do you have the information on what light colours and state (flashing/steady) the lights should be on your hub when it works properly.

I don't think anyone could suggest anything until the above is known.

Simon

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
    It is a BT Home Hub 4 with the DSL grey connection.      The normal blue light turns to an Orange, flashing light.    It also has, printed on the back: Home Hub 4.0 - Type 8

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
Have you seen "What do the lights on my BT Hub mean" http://www.rootschat.com/links/01juz/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
I've got a home hub 5 and if I get a server not found message, I first of all turn it off and disconnect both the phone and electricity wires. Then leave it for a few minutes and then reconnect the wires and turn on again.  The hub usually connects again.

Otherwise, click on the WiFi icon on your task bar and click 'troubleshoot'. 

If all this fails, it could be a local BT fault.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
I ring BT and report the fault as soon as it happens, they can guide you thro. the hubs diagnostics, they can read the hubs dropout record and eventually they will tell you to do as Gadjet suggests, when it will all work again, but in my case they actually fixed the fault, without admitting there ever was one, because my hub had a very high dropout rate.

They seemed much more helpful than they used to be.

Incidentally if we are both using our iPads and the landline walk round phone is in use in the same room this often causes a problem.

Mike

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Gadget and Mazi,
                          I already tried the idea of turning off everything, leaving everything a while, then turning back on.      It did work but later on I began getting the same problems again.

I will have to phone BT, as you suggest.      They are helpful when you eventually get through to them.      But you get messed about a lot before you reach the right technician.     ...You mentioned I Pads....   My sister recently used my HUB number to get a connection to her I Pad.     Could this be causing me problems?     I don't use an I Pad myself.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk