Author Topic: Problem message: "Server Not Found"  (Read 1288 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problem message: "Server Not Found"
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
I had a similar problem last week but solved it by making sure the phone cabling from entry into my house and into my router were secure and then turning the router switch off and on.  I then turned off everything at the wall ( = computer and router) and counted to 20 before switching everythig back on again. All router lights flicked on again and Problem solved.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Rena,
          I already tried disconnecting everything like you did, but the computer still only worked in spells
after that.

Anyway, I have just come off the phone from BT.      The technician there checked it out at his end, and he did a few things at his end, then said that he'd be monitoring it and calling me back on Thursday to ask me if it has been working okay.       If he (BT) is also monitoring it, then BT might pick up on something that was causing me these problems.      ....I don't know but he might even have already fixed the computer.     He was away for about ten minutes working on it, so maybe it is fixed.      But he is giving it till Thursday then phoning me back to see how I am getting on.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
It definitely sounds like a hub/BT fault, not your computer.

We had similar problems last year (Home hub 3) & they did something remotely to fix whatever the fault was at their end (they never actually tell you!) It worked & after a spell of monitoring they texted me & asked if it was ok. Because I was out, with no mobile signal, I didn't receive it immediately so didn't reply - that evening at home they rang me to check & told me that if I had future problems at any time, a text to that number would get me help straightaway.

BT do seem to have become more helpful  ;D

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
     Yes, Roopat,
                         the guy I spoke to was also very good.     

I suspect that they know more than they are telling us.      Perhaps there is some fault in the hub that they dare not reveal.       Only guessing.       Probably I am being unfair.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
When my brother was having similar problems, apparently the BT chap told him they 'change the channel' of the hub to improve its functioning - but I've no idea if that's right or what it means  ;D as you pointed out they can be mysterious  ;D ;D

Good luck with it

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area