Author Topic: Clarinda Scamp  (Read 2168 times)

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarinda Scamp
« on: Monday 03 April 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Seems to be several trees on Ancestry where as  sadly seems the norm some people just copy and accept as proven ! came across by chance an old query from my website when a chap was asking for info on Clarinda Scamp now there seems to be a few  candidates for a Clarinda and also spelt Clara .
Just had a look and it seems yet another example of someone adding the wrong info without checking !I think the tree in question has no Scamp connection unless otherwise known?

Offline Timdawson777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clarinda Scamp
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm interested as to what you are referring. I recently did a tree for a friend on Ancestry which included a Clarinda(y) Scamp b.1822 d. of John Scamp & Grace Lee. Would this be the Scamp you spoke of? I recall that trying to figure out the family connections was quite a challenge hence why your post caught my eye.
Cheers,
Tim

Offline CHadfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 July 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’m not sure which Clarinda Scamp you mention in your post but Clarinda Scamp (1799-1867) is my 6th Great Grandmother. She was the older sister of Gilderoy Scamp and daughter of Samson (Sampson) Scamp and Celia Lee. She was probably born in Blackheath, Kent in 1799. Clarinda married a man named John Pitcher in 1818 at All Saints Church in Canterbury.

John and Clarinda had at least 5 children. Their first child, John (who I descend from) was baptised on the 9th May 1819 at the parish church in St. Lawrence. The baptism records her name as Cleandre.

On the 22nd April 1821 John and Clarinda had another child baptised who they named George. He was baptised at St. Mary the Virgin Church in Chislet. The baptism record shows that John and Clarinda were ‘travellers’ from the parish of Ash.

On the 19th June 1825 John and Clarinda had a son baptised who they named Stephen. He was baptised at the parish church in Woodnesborough. This baptism record lists Clarinda as the mother.

A daughter, Elizabeth, was born in about 1831 although at this time I haven’t come across a baptism record.

On the 23rd March 1834 John and Clarinda had a son baptised who they named Thomas. This record lists Clarinda as Clorinda, her husband John was a Travelling Grinder.

Although I haven’t found Clarinda’s family in the 1841 census, the 1851 Census shows Clarinda was living with her husband John Pitcher at a place called ‘Butter Mick? Lane’ in the parish of St. Mary in Sandwich. Her name is spelt Claranda, she is 51 years old and her place of birth is recorded as Lee, Kent.

Clarinda is mentioned in a newspaper article which appeared in The Canterbury Journal and Farmer’s Gazette on the 11th October 1856. The article is in relation to her son attacking his sister. The newspaper states ‘Claranda Pitcher, mother of the prosecutrix, - Had witnessed the assault on her daughter, which she described in corroborative terms. When she cried out “murder,” she went to her assistance, and endeavoured to get him off, but could not. Afterwards he struck her, but she hit him again: indeed, she very naively confessed she hit him first’.

The 1861 Census shows Clarinda living with her Husband John Pitcher in Barfreston, Eastry, Kent. Her name is spelt Clariande, she is 62 and a Brazier’s wife. Her place of birth is recorded as Blackheath, Kent.

Clarinda died in the July of 1867 in Eastry. Her name was spelt Clarainder and she was recorded as being 68 (Birth year 1799).

I have recently had my DNA results analysed through Ancestry and they link me to people who are directly descended from Gilderoy Scamp (1812-1893) and that we share a common ancestor. (Their surname is still Scamp).

Although a baptism record has not yet been found for Clarinda, the DNA hints that Gilderoy and Clarinda were siblings. Clarinda’s name has many different spellings but I think it is safe to say it is the same person in all the records.

Clarinda Scamp (1799-1867)

Offline Timdawson777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comprehensive reply! It's certainly cleared up my confusion. My friend's Clarinda is the niece of your Clarinda (the daughter of your Clarinda's elder brother John). John also had a son called Gilderoy which didn't help the confusion...

Cheers,
Tim

Offline joseph99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 05:43 BST (UK) »
hi
my name is kevin Addley and I live in New zealand my great grandmother was flora scamp who married william addley. floras father was gilderoy scamp and clarinda was his sister their father was samson scamp,so we are all related any other info would be great .I would love to see a photo of gilderoys varo if anyone has any family photos regards kevin

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Kevin,

if you aren't already aware page 13 of "The Family Tree of Samson and Celia Scamp" compiled by Roger Baker shows Flora Scamp and William Addley and six children, one who has a death noted in New Zealand in 1957 so I assume your line.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline joseph99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 April 21 00:49 BST (UK) »
yes that was my grandad george addley we are the only family of addleys in new zealand.funny thing is my grandad named nearly all of his children after his brothers and sisters he had seven children and the only one that is still alive is my dad george addley and he is 91yrs old. i wonder if the family over there are short as dad is only 4ft.10 and his brother arthur was about 4ft 6. regards kevin