Author Topic: Henry Alexander GOGARTY  (Read 569 times)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Alexander GOGARTY
« on: Monday 03 April 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Surgeon Major Henry Alexander Gogarty was born on 16th June 1833 in Rio de Janeiro and died in Canterbury on the 18th April 1906.

He studied medicine in Dublin and Paris and qualified as a Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland in 1853.  He entered Trinity College Dublin in 1855 and received an Arts degree and over the following 12 years, two degrees in medicine; clearly a bright chap!

His career in the British Army started in August 1855 as an assistant surgeon.  He was posted to India and served throughout the "Mutiny" with the 52nd Light Infantry, earning the medal with clasp "Delhi" (see below).

In 1877 he retired from the army with the rank of Surgeon Major, having completed 22 years service.

On his retirement from the army, he settled in Canterbury and joined the staff of the local hospital where he worked until shortly before his death.

In addition to his work in the hospital, he gave lectures on practical medicine to students from St Augustine's Missionary Training College.

I have tried, without success to locate a photo of Dr Gogarty; can anyone assist?

Any pointers most welcome.

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Alexander GOGARTY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
There are several obituaries for him but I haven't found a photo yet.

Have you tried contacting the Kent & Canterbury Hospital?  Hospitals often have a small archive.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
Bearkat

Thank you,  I have found quite a lot of information on Dr Gogarty and following your suggestion, I have now located a photo of him with the students at St Augustine's.  An email has been sent to the record section at Canterbury Cathedral, where the original is located, requesting a scan.  I will keep you posted.

Many thanks.

Mark
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the staff at the Hampshire Records Office, I have been able to obtain a photograph of Henry. (Hampshire Record Office ref 170A12W/P/0710jpg)

He is buried at St Martin's, Canterbury; can anyone take a photo of his grave and post it here?

Mark