Author Topic: The Long family of Killarney  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Long family of Killarney
« on: Monday 03 April 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my great grandfathers family, his name was John Joseph Long, fathers name was John Long, not sure of his mothers, he married my great grandmother in 1925, so I'm guessing around that period? All this information I have already was provided to me by the good folk on here, and it has helped greatly so once again thankyou! http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768661.new#new what I have already, I already have my great grandparents marriage certificate to save anyone finding a record already found my apologies to those who did that last time.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Long family of Killarney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
On the 1925 Marriage cert John Joseph's residence is given as Killarney Road Bray which is in county Wicklow. Why do you think he is from Killarney?

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
I was sure it said Killarney AND Bray not Killarney road on the certificate I couldn't read it that well, I assumed he may have moved from Killarney and as bray isn't far from Dublin which was where my great nan was from they may have met there?, plus I'm sure I've been told he was from there, this marriage certificate is all I have to go on for him, my apologies if it is Killarney Road and I've got it wrong

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
I had looked at Killarney Road in 1911 and 1901 but couldn't find his father.
John Joseph is quite a popular name with the Longs so he is hard to find without an earlier address, do you know when he died and what age he was?
Might help find a possible birth or Census.

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
That I am not sure of I've looked for both John Joseph and John on the census, and on records I can literally find nothing...there must be something somewhere? Is there a reason hes so hard to find? I know Long is a very common name maybe that's why? My nan never told me a lot so I literally have only what I have so far on my great grandfather. My apologies for the lack of information I know it makes it harder.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
We know he was 21 or over when he married and he's an engin fitter, his wife is Mary.
Am I correct they settled in Arklow, do you know if they stayed there all their lives?

A marriage cert for one of his children might say if he was still alive at that time, possibly an address if the person getting married still lived at home and if his occupation was still the same.

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
Yes they did settle in Arklow, I've just looked for my grandparents marriage certificate, I couldn't even find that for some reason, my grandmother was Grace Long, grandfather was James Hayden, married in Rathdrum 1952, it came up with no results oddly enough.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 23:09 BST (UK) »

It's too recent, marriages up to 1940.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 April 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Have you had a good look around the house, you would be surprised what you can find stuck in a drawer. A memory card, a letter, a newspaper cutting, an old photograph. I solved a issue with my grandmother by finding some very faint writing on the front of a book of blotting paper.