Author Topic: From Dorset to Lancashire? (Green)  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: From Dorset to Lancashire? (Green)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is Rose Ann but marriage 1886 for a Rosanna Theresa Hinds to James Bassett.

Mention it because her birth place on census changes from Scotland to Bushmills Antrin Ireland.

5 children born by 1901* - Eleanor - Frederick - Robert - James - Charles

*1901 is under Barrett on ancestry - Rose born Ireland

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 April 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
Were any of these ladies resident in Caton on 1901 census yours? They were all born in Dorset.
Matilda Robinson, (b. In??? Minster), Harriet Ellen Walker (b. Urn (?) Minster), Annie Mason, Mary Goodwin, Martha Williams, Frances Miles/ Mills (?). As far as I can make out from the census they were all married. (Edit. Annie Mason and Mary Goodwin both maiden names Purchase.
Edward, sons George & William Purchase were all born in Dorset, Hetherbury/ Netherbury/ Petaldown.
Purchase was not a Lancashire name. There was only 1 family of that name in Lancs. on 1841 census, an excise officer, born outside Lancs. with an Irish wife.  Birthplaces of adults with the name Purchase  on other 19th century census included Essex, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Staffs., Shropshire, Westmorland, Gloucestershire, Cheshire, Somerset, Cornwall, Wales and Guernsey. Out of 24 in 1881, only 3 children of 1 family were born in Lancs.
Caton had 5 mills (2 silk, 1 flax), a bobbin factory and a tile factory.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 April 17 04:45 BST (UK) »
Elisha Green was in Clitheroe in 1881. He was widowed and with his married son in Oswaldtwistle in 1901.

Purchase entries on Lancs. OPC included 2 soldiers and 2 sailors. 1 soldier married a woman from Dorset. His father was a sailor. There was also a stone mason. Perhaps the soldiers and sailors told their families & friends back home they should go to Lancashire to find work.
Cowban

Offline MadaboutRoses1883

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your replies.

Maiden Stone.  I have a lot of info to sift through with both of your posts.
As far as I know I haven't come across those names (yet), but i'll have a search for them. So it is quite possible that the Purchases' came from Dorset too? 

Milliepede, I just couldn't find any information on Rose Ann Hinds, I was beginning to think she had disappeared off the census' & BMD radar? But it may be that this is her? Thankyou.

Cheers Rosie
LANCASHIRE: 
Arkwright. Weston. Higginson. Hargreaves. Glass. Johnson. Colbeck. Edmonson. Marsden. Bateson. Park/Parks/Parkes. Fern. Appleby. Purchase.  Riden/Riddens.
Gornall/Gornell/Gorner.Lancashire. Preston/Ribchester).
Kirkby Lonsdale/Kendal/Lancashire. Routledge.Atkinson.
DORSET:Wareham.Green.Kerly/Kerley

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 April 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Dorset seems to have been the heartland of the Purchase name. I followed Purchase because it was an unusual name. By coincidence I came across it a few days ago whilst searching for a possible marriage of one of my Irish GGFs in Northumberland. Head of the Purchase family I found in  Northumberland was from Norfolk or Suffolk and had moved around the north of England since youth. BTW a William Green from Whitchurch, Dorset  was a footman in 1871 in Northumberland,  in the household of a lieutenant. 2 other servants were from Cornwall. I wondered if William Green had previously been in his master's regiment. (Just thought I'd throw that in, especially in view of the Purchase soldiers and sailors I found in Lancs.)

Back to Caton.
William Purchase was from Netherbury in Dorset. Near neighbours of William & Amelia in Caton who were also Dorset-born were Martha Williams (wife of Marmaduke), James & Hannah Marsh and an Emily who was married to John Fernen(?). (1891 census)  Could Emily have been Emily Green?
Family of George Hunt (b. 1828 Irwen, Dorset) were in Caton on 1881 census. 2 of his daughters were Matilda Robinson & Harriet Ellen Walker whom I mentioned in my 1st post.
Caton also had a few Cornish-born residents.
The Lancashire census enumerators not surprisingly had problems with unfamiliar surnames and places. Purchase was Penham on one transcription for 1881.

Father of William Purchase was Edward. Edward, wife Susan +6 children were in Puddletown, Dorchester, Dorset in 1871. William, then about 18 was not with them. Neither is elder daughter Elizabeth. She married in Caton, 1874 to a man from Devon. Susan Purchase (Tolley) was a flax spinner (1851 census, Dorset). Perhaps it was her skill which brought the family to Caton. It was normal for married women in Lancashire to work outside the home.

BTW Tolpuddle Martyrs 1834.

Given Elisha's occupation on a later census he may have worked in the tile factory in Caton.

Cowban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 April 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Maiden Stone you posted so much for me to research further, I really appreciate it.
It does seem that there was quite a lot of folks from Dorset, Devon and Cornwall came up to work in Lancashire. That's something I will try and find out more about.
It's possible that the Emily who was married to John Fernen may have been Emily Green? Another lead for me to look into.
Cheers Rosie
LANCASHIRE: 
Arkwright. Weston. Higginson. Hargreaves. Glass. Johnson. Colbeck. Edmonson. Marsden. Bateson. Park/Parks/Parkes. Fern. Appleby. Purchase.  Riden/Riddens.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 April 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
I couldn't decipher surname of Emily's husband. If he was from another "foreign" family the census clerk might have mangled it. It was 1891 census.
( Edit. Marriage 1886 Emily Green & John Fern. Hyndburn district (includes Oswaldtwistle & Accrington). Register Office or Registrar attended. Was the Green family Methodist? Oswaldtwistle had a large Methodist population; lots of Old Testament names in census e.g. Elisha. Methodism was also strong in S.W. England.)

Referring back to a post by Threlfall Yorky about Cornish tin-mining ancestors being recruited to work in coal mines in Burnley, one such was Noah Purchas. He was born in Somerset and spent some of his adult life in Cornwall where some of his children were born. He was on 1881 & 91 census. Several of his neighbours in Burnley were Cornish. Interestingly (to me anyway), the district where  he lived was the same where I'd previously located another Purchase family in the barracks.

The reasons for your ancestors and their neighbours moving from Dorset were likely to be connected to changes in farming in late 19th century. Mechanization such as threshing machines resulting in less work for ag. labs. Local history of Dorset should provide clues as to what was happening at the time. Also they may have been attracted by chance of higher wages & more regular work in factories and more employment opportunities for women. Even mothers of young children worked in Lancashire. Young single women earned higher wages and had more freedom than their peers who were in domestic service.

What was Elisha's address in 1891? I found him in Clitheroe  1881 and Ossie in 1901 but not in between.
Cowban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Once again Thankyou Maiden Stone for your reply.

Yes the Hyndburn district does include Oswaldtwistle so that could certainly have been her? (she wasn't on the census in 1881 with Elisha?) I'll look and see who the witnesses were?

I think it is possible that Elisha's family were Methodist's, his granddaughter, my granny, may have been a Wesleyan which I think is Methodist. I have a family Bible from a Wesleyan church that belonged to her husband's family, but I always thought she was a Quaker?
Thankyou for the hint of looking at the Local history of Dorset to get more insight as to why and where they travelled up country.

Rosie
LANCASHIRE: